Aeonian Farm is a hand-tended microfarm in Westport, MA established on leased land in 2020. Our produce is grown organically in balanced, no-till soils untouched by chemical applications or artificial fertilizers. We grow on about 1 acre, most of which is devoted to diversified annual vegetables with an expanding cut flower enterprise. We have four unheated high tunnels on the farm which we use to grow year round. We sell exclusively to farmers markets throughout the year, with our main market season running from May - November and a special winter market from January - March.
Hours: We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join us immediately, for about 30 - 40 hrs per week. Would also be willing to hire two part time workers whose hours would total between 30 - 40. Positions are guaranteed through October with part time work available in November/ early December. Work days will start at 7/8 AM Monday - Friday, end time 3/4pm depending on the season. Lunch is one hour, unpaid. Help at our weekend farmers markets will be needed on some Saturdays, hours will be approximately 6 AM to 3 PM.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Field work/Crop production: participate in all aspects of field management including soil amending, bed preparation, transplanting, weed management, harvesting and bed flipping. Some pest management, propagation, pruning and trellising work as needed.
- Harvest: Weekly harvests of produce for our farmers markets. We take quality very seriously on the farm, so close attention and care will need to be paid to quality of produce and efficiency of harvest.
- Post-harvest: ensure that all produce is washed and cooled with care and efficiency, paying close attention to desire to learn the ins and outs of diversified, small-scale organic vegetable quality control. Maintain a clean and organized wash station and walk-in cooler.
- Farmers market: Create a welcoming and cheerful environment for customers. Be able to speak with passion and experience about the produce, our growing practices and share recipe ideas.
- Other: Infrastructure projects including greenhouse repairs, road maintenance, tool maintenance, fence work, etc.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs repeatedly, should be in fit physical condition.
- Must be able to walk, stand, squat, and kneel for extended periods.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Good communication and listening skills, able to follow instructions when given.
- Openness to receive and share constructive criticism.
- Understands the importance of following systems and working efficiently.
- Attention to detail.
- Works well independently and with others. Can maintain focus and work efficiently while working solo or with others.
Hourly pay starts at $16.00/hour.
Send an email to [email protected] with your resume in the body of the email, two references and contact info where you can be reached. Successful applicants will be invited for an in-person interview.