Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking a Director of Advancement. This position is a highly strategic and collaborative role that reports to the Executive Director and is a key member of the organizational leadership team. They will oversee all aspects of Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s public engagement and development efforts by mobilizing resources to align organizational values and goals.
The Advancement Director leads the organization’s Communications and Development (C&D) team and works in collaboration with the Executive Director and Managing Director, as well as individual program leaders, to chart long-term organizational strategy. They will be a leader in strategic planning efforts and a key contributor to the annual budgeting processes as they are responsible for establishing and managing fundraising goals and work plans. This will include determining plans for giving, grantmaking and events, while also prospecting new development opportunities and deepening key external relationships on a local, state, and national level to help grow the local RI food system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Alignment of Organizational Planning, Strategy, and Communications
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Managing Director to engage the board, staff, AmeriCorps members, volunteers, organizational partners, and community stakeholders to define and share the strategic direction of Farm Fresh RI.
- Be a leading voice in determining organizational messaging and communications of Farm Fresh RI’s strategic plan.
- Ensure that organizational communications highlight the overall impact of Farm Fresh RI statewide, demonstrating how Farm Fresh works to develop a resilient regional food system and contextualizes organizational efforts with innovative organizations across the nation working for food system change.
- Lead the Communications and Development department, being accountable for the organization’s communication plan and strategy.
- Work with the Senior Management Team, Board Development Committee, and C&D Team to chart organizational messaging strategies and annual communication plans.
- Collaborate with C&D Team and Program Directors on the annual communications calendar. Oversee and partner on the implementation of elements of the communications strategy.
- Lead C&D team in efforts to strengthen the connections between organizational communications and fundraising.
Ethical Leadership and Organizational Culture
- Model ethical leadership and uphold Farm Fresh’s management standards, values, and the organization’s commitment to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Ensure the leadership team communicates regularly with the staff, board, and broader stakeholders to keep them informed on the condition of Farm Fresh RI and on all the important factors influencing the overall health and well-being of the organization.
- Ensure all philanthropic activities are well aligned with the organizational mission and values.
Partnerships & Community Engagement
- Guide how Farm Fresh RI shows up in the community and how the Farm Fresh building and property can be best utilized as a shared resource and space for people to connect.
- Foster community connections and screen for opportunities to host community events at the Farm Fresh building.
- Act as a primary point of contact for community partnerships, events, and other potential activities and help connect other programs and departments with opportunities that emerge.
- Uphold Farm Fresh’s commitment to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion by ensuring that Farm Fresh thoughtfully and intentionally engages a wide range of community groups and stakeholders, and that Farm Fresh’s physical space is a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Develop Contributed and Financial Support to Advance Organizational Goals
- Responsible for leading an overall advancement plan that includes fund development for programs and the general operations of the organization.
- Be accountable for leading the Board of Directors, the Development Committee, and the leadership staff in reaching annual contribution goals.
- Accountable for providing direction and supervision of the Director of Giving in the implementation and management of all charitable giving strategies including engaging current and past donors and identifying new prospects for Farm Fresh.
- Work with the C&D Team to raise general operating support for the organization through the cultivation of major gifts and annual giving from individuals, businesses, and corporations.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, be responsible for the identification and stewardship of major donors and new leads in corporate, foundation, and government relations.
- Lead the C&D staff, volunteers, and other team members as needed in overseeing all fundraising events held by Farm Fresh RI.
- Accountable for all Farm Fresh RI organizational outreach and development events, including partnership and relationship development with event hosts and sponsors.
- Supervise C&D staff in event communication plans, promotions, and programming.
- Work closely with the Director of Giving and C&D team to plan and staff fundraising events
- Supervise earned income strategies through the rental of the Farm Fresh building to outside parties.
Grants and Awards
- Supervise the Assistant Director of Grants and Data in managing the grant portfolio for Farm Fresh, including supervision of writing grant proposals, reports, and renewals; prospecting for new funding relationships; and stewardship of foundation partners.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Managing Director, Program Directors and Grants and Data Manager to establish and implement grant support strategy for public (national, state, and local) and private (corporate, nonprofit or individual) funding that supports Farm Fresh’s mission and strategy.
- Personally write grant proposals and partner with C&D team, Executive Director, and other staff to compile content for grant proposals.
- Provide overall leadership and oversight of public grant and contract awards. Supervise the Assistant Director of Grants and Data on the management of award record keeping and reporting requirements.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Grants and Data, Managing Director, Program Directors, and the Director of Business and Accounts to develop and monitor all administrative processes related to grant outcome and expense tracking.
- Accountable for the implementation of the volunteer program at Farm Fresh Rhode Island.
- In service of program efficiency and community engagement, strategize with staff on volunteer opportunities at the organization.
- Assist with the recruitment, work planning, and supervision of a Volunteer Coordinator service position.
- Build on the connection between volunteers, community engagement, and advancement goals.
Overall Management of the Communications and Development Department
- Responsible for managing C&D Team staff, service corps members, volunteers, and professional advisors.
- Actively support the growth and professional development of C&D Team staff through direct supervision, coaching, sharing relevant workshop opportunities, inviting members to participate in networks, and ensuring they receive mentorship or leadership training depending on their needs.
- Responsible for oversight of the C&D Team budget as well as updating income and expense projections.
- Coordinate C&D staff participation in organizational meetings, meetings with partner organizations and funders, and Farm Fresh Board committees and ad-hoc teams.
- Assist the Executive Director and Board of Directors in articulating individual member and committee roles.
- Support efforts to track and evaluate Board performance.
- Serve as staff lead and liaison to the Board Development Committee.
- Provide direction to C&D Team members in participating or leading Board development meetings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Our ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this role but does not need all of these in order to qualify.
- Experience in a leadership role at a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget of at least $2M and leading an Annual Giving Campaign of at least $100k
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills, including the ability to successfully provide leadership, inspire and influence others
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information and records with discretion, diligence, and good judgment
- Strong management skills and ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously
- Commitment to the success of co-workers and Farm Fresh RI’s mission and values
- Ability to think, respond, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Passion for local food systems and social justice issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to juggle and track multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Deep understanding of local food systems and specifically the RI/New England community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (PHYSICAL, MENTAL & ENVIRONMENTAL)
The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit/stand for long periods of time at a desk; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls on computers; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear in meetings and on the telephone or on the computer in an office or variable setting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to travel, which may include travel via car, train, airline, overnight hotel stays.
PAY & BENEFITS
- The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $115,000 annually depending on experience and in line with Farm Fresh RI pay scales
- 15 days of Paid Time Off, 12 annual paid holidays, and 3 personal holidays annually
- $552 monthly contribution to flexible health, dental, and life insurance plans
- Annual professional development credits and opportunities
- Matching contributions to a company-sponsored retirement plan after 2 years of employment
- Please send your updated Resume and a Cover Letter to Jesse Rye, [email protected], with the subject line: Director of Advancement Application.
- Farm Fresh RI will be prioritizing applicants that have strengths in the following three categories: **Fund Development** (communications, fundraising, and grant writing) **Social Change** (Commitment to social justice, relationship building, and commitment to food systems change), and **Organizational Leadership** (strategic planning, project management, team management). *In your Cover Letter, please choose at least one category and address how your experience and abilities in that category will make you a strong candidate for the Advancement Director position.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of March 31, 2023, with applications accepted until the position is filled.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.