Position: Farm Hand
Website: Cape Cod Farm - Gopal Farm
Location: Sandwich, MA
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience; opportunities for performance-based wage increases
- On-Site Housing (a.k.a. Live on Cape Cod for the summer!)
- Fresh fruits and veggies to take home during the harvest
- Participation in on-farm educational workshops and community events (COVID dependent)
- Training will be provided for all tasks and equipment as needed, and may include: hand tools developed for intensive vegetable production, tractor, BCS, and other small engine equipment
Work Schedule: Part-time and Full-time positions available
Email: [email protected]
Cell: Text/call Jack 508-289-1813
Full Job Description:
Gopal Farm Cape Cod is a 223-acre Ag-conserved farm focused on regenerative practices, the ethical treatment of animals, and supporting local communities with fresh, delicious produce. Located in Sandwich, Massachusetts, we are the largest piece of arable farmland on Cape Cod.
Our main focus is on Ethnic Indian produce for our CSA, but we are looking to expand our wholesale and community customer base, as well as private event revenue streams. While we are not certified yet, but we adhere to organic practices. In addition to our location on Cape Cod, Gopal Farm also includes our founding farm in New Paltz, NY, along with Mango, Coconut, and other tropical farms on Pine Island off the coast of Florida.
Now in Year 2 of production, we are scaling up our organic vegetable growing by 500%. We are currently seeking 1 Lead Farm Hand living on-site and 2-3 capable Farm Hands. Ideal Candidates will be self-starters who have a passion for regenerative farming and want to contribute their unique backgrounds/ideas to the rapid growth of our beautiful farm.
Either full-time or part-time (minimum 3 days/week). Farm Hands report directly to the Farm Manager and collaborate with other staff members as needed. We offer a salary commensurate with experience, on-site housing, and all the fruits and veggies you can eat!
Team Members must love physical labor, keep up a rigorous pace, and be willing to work in all weather conditions while maintaining a positive attitude. If you are self-motivated, like to ask questions, love to learn on the job, and are excited to work outside in a startup environment, then join us! Previous farming experience is helpful, but we are willing to train the right candidate.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- All aspects of intensive vegetable, herb and cut flower production, including but not limited to propagation, soil prep, seeding, planting, harvest, irrigation, cultivation, weeding, trellising, wash/pack, and equipment maintenance
- Washing and packing produce and other farm products for CSA and wholesale customers
- Interacting in a friendly and informative manner with on-site guests
- Additional duties may include fence work, landscaping, animal husbandry, hospitality support, facilities development, farmer’s market sales, and other enterprises as needed
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Full-time is 40-50 hours per week, fluctuating seasonally, with reduced hours in the shoulder seasons.
- Availability and willingness to work weekends for chores, markets and/or events is a plus
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions while maintaining a positive attitude
- Willingness to drive vehicles (large pickup and/or RTV)
- Respect for safety guidelines and willingness to follow safety procedures (including COVID protocol)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs safely and repeatedly
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team
- Punctuality and reliability are essential
- Some produce experience preferred, but we are open to training motivated individuals
Additional Preferred Background:
- Construction Experience
- Landscaping Experience
- Minor Mechanical Experience
Please note that this job description is not comprehensive. Activities, duties, and/or responsibilities may change at any time. If you think Gopal Farm Cape Cod might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply by emailing the following information to [email protected] Incomplete applications will not be considered. If we think you might be a good fit, we will contact you to set up a phone interview followed by a farm visit or video interview (depending on applicant distance and covid feasibility).
- Please answer the following questions:
Tell us a little about yourself! What is your background? Interests? What are your long-term farming goals?
Why do you think Gopal Farm Cape Cod is a good fit for you?
What is your experience with outdoor, physical labor? If experience is limited, are you capable of working 40-50 hours outdoors in all weather conditions?
How would you describe your ideal working environment? What motivates you to work quickly and efficiently? How do you best learn new concepts and skills?
Are you willing and able to work weekends?
Please provide a resume.
Please provide a reference who could speak to your learning and working style. Farming or other physical labor-related references preferred, if applicable.
At Gopal Farm Cape Cod our greatest strength is our people and their collective individual backgrounds and differences. Gopal Farm Cape Cod is committed to creating a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and connectedness to each other and to the land. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, culture & ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, and all other protected classes.
We publicly affirm our ongoing commitment to becoming an anti-racist organization and that our anti-racism commitment is reflected in the life and culture of our policies, programs, and hiring practices as we continue to learn about bias and racism.