Aeonian Farm is a hand-tended microfarm in Westport, MA established on leased land in 2020. Our produce is grown organically in no-till soils. We grow on about 1 acre, most of which is devoted to diversified annual vegetables with an expanding cut flower enterprise. We have four unheated high tunnels on the farm which we use to grow year round. We sell exclusively to farmers markets throughout the year, with our main market season running from May - November and a special winter market from January - March.
On our farm we grow intensively in order to maximize the productive potential of the limited space available to us. In order to achieve this level of production we prioritize using human scale tools that offer flexibility and efficiency while minimizing the unnatural disturbance of our soil.
We are looking for hardworking individuals interested in farming to join our team for the 2023 season. This is a unique opportunity for someone interested in learning the intricacies of small scale, intensive agriculture.
Hours: Start time will be in May with work lasting into October, possibly November. Work days will start at 7/8 AM and end at 4/5 PM, Monday - Friday, depending on the season. Lunch is one hour, unpaid. Help at our weekend farmers markets will be needed and farm crew will alternate work on Saturdays, approximately 6 AM to 3 PM. Whoever works the market on Saturday will get the next Monday off.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Field work/Crop production: participate in all aspects of field management including soil amending, bed preparation, transplanting, weed management, harvesting and bed flipping. Some pest management, propagation, pruning and trellising work as needed.
- Harvest: Weekly harvests of produce for our farmers markets. We take quality very seriously on the farm, so close attention and care will need to be paid to quality of produce and efficiency of harvest.
- Post-harvest: ensure that all produce is washed and cooled with care and efficiency, paying close attention to quality control. Maintain a clean and organized wash station and walk-in cooler.
- Farmers market: Create a welcoming and cheerful environment for customers. Be able to speak with passion and experience about the produce, our growing practices and share recipe ideas.
- Other: Infrastructure projects including greenhouse repairs, road maintenance, tool maintenance, fence work, etc.
- Have an interest in farming, and desire to learn the ins and outs of diversified, small-scale organic vegetable production.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs repeatedly, should be in fit physical condition.
- Must be able to walk, stand, squat, and kneel for extended periods.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Good communication and listening skills, able to follow instructions when given.
- Openness to receive and share constructive criticism.
- Understands the importance of following systems and working efficiently.
- Attention to detail.
- Works well independently and with others. Can maintain focus and work efficiently while working solo or with others.
- Reliable transportation to and from the farm and a valid driver’s license with clean driving record so you can drive farm vehicles and be added to our insurance.
- Some previous experience in vegetable farming is preferred, but not required.
Hourly pay starts at $16.00/hour.
- Fresh vegetables from the field.
Send an email to [email protected] with your resume in the body of the email, two references and contact info where you can be reached. Successful applicants will be invited for an in-person interview.
Aeonian Farm is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.