Start Date: April 1, 2020
ABOUT AQUIDNECK FARMS
Aquidneck Farms is a fifteen-year-old grass -fed beef operation located in Portsmouth, RI. The farm has a 180 head angus herd which is 100% grass-fed. Because AQF does not feed or finish with grain and because AQF has the land base, all baleage and dry grass is growth on site. The farm owns 280 acres and leases another 50. AQF slaughters approximately 40 head annually. Its product is sold locally in farmers markets, to restaurants and in the farm store.
AQF currently has a Farm Manager who focuses on the livestock and 2 other employees.
The Crop Manager will work under the Farm Manager. His/her responsibilities are to manage all hay production including organizing labor, as necessary and machinery maintenance and repairs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for Hay Field management including annual testing and amending of soils, as well as over-seeding as needed.
- Responsible for the production, sales and deliveries of compost.
- Responsible to produce feed including cutting, baling, wrapping and storage.
- Responsible for purchasing supplies related to feed production.
- Responsible for performing maintenance and scheduling repairs of equipment related to feed production.
- Responsible for keeping records associated with equipment maintenance, feed yields and soil testing.
- Responsible for the supervision of staff assisting with feed and Compost Production.
- Responsible for negotiating and tracking field leases.
- Assist with livestock feeding, barn cleaning, manure hauling/spreading during non-growing season.
- Assist with cattle and poultry grazing rotations as needed.
- Assist with all other duties as required.
- Communicate weekly/daily staffing needs related to Feed/ Compost to Farm Manager.
- 5+ years of work experience in forage production/farming
- Must be able to operate a variety of farm and field equipment
- Ability to adapt to changing Priorities
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and accurately
- MUST be able to work collaboratively in a team environment; and maintain a positive environment
- Ability to initiate and follow through on work independently
- Strong organization and record keeping skills required
- Effective written and verbal skills required
- Clean Driving Record required (Background Check Required)
- Basic computer skills and a passion for new technology
- Professional demeanor and strong work ethic Required
Please email your resume to Michael@farmscapesllc.com or call the farm at 401.849.0337