The major farm responsibilities are shared between two farm managers - the Greenhouse Operations manager has the primary responsibility for all aspects of seedling propagation, post harvest management, and direct to consumer sales at the plant sale. In this position the greenhouse manager must make decisions that uphold the mission of Holly Hill Farm including but not limited to a commitment to regenerative agriculture, our community, and our environment.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Management of all plant propagation activities including seeding and care of plants for the farm, education department and annual plant sale
- Responsible for planning and execution of the annual plant sale
- Support farm sales including on and offsite markets and wholesale accounts
These areas are shared with the Field Operations Manager:
- Responsible for seasonal farm chores including snow removal, watering, and greenhouse temperature management
- Participation in maintenance of driveways, barns and sheds, fields, woods and trails including plowing and shoveling of snow for winter access to buildings and animals
- Coordination with co-manager to create and implement a yearly crop plan and greenhouse schedule as well as the weekly development of activities and schedules
- Participation in the farm’s community including planning meetings and events as well as coordination of weekly farm activities with Farm Owner, Executive Director, Educational Director, Farm Co-Manager, and Staff
- Management of the recruitment, training, and supervision of other full or part-time and/or seasonal employees and/or volunteers
- Participation in the farm’s administration including data collecting, record-keeping, and reporting required to maintain organic certification and assisting in the keeping of financial records, making of budgets, handling of receipts, etc.
- Participation in long term strategic planning activities working towards the goals of sustainability and conservation practices of the farm
Education level: High School Diploma
Experience: 3-5 years of on farm employment
- Familiar with the operation, maintenance and repair of basic farm machinery such as mechanized gardening equipment and tractors.
- Skilled in all major organic and sustainable farming practices including greenhouse management and the successful growing of an extensive variety of vegetables and flowers
- Expertise with post harvest handling of vegetables, flowers, and herbs
- Skilled in dealing with clients and the general public
- Proficient in the use of Excel, Word, Google Suite, and the ability to adapt to new technologies
- Supportive of and able to contribute actively to the owners’ goals of utilizing the farm for educational and community purposes
- Capable of supervising and training other employees and volunteers and organizing their work schedules
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]