Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an articulate and organized Community Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA with demonstrated initiative and strong logistical and communications skills to assist programs organization-wide in outreach efforts and engaging, qualifying, and retaining reliable volunteers. As an integral part of the Farm Fresh RI team, this person will be responsible for understanding and communicating our needs to potential volunteers, creating strategies to attract and recruit new volunteers, implementing and improving on existing procedures for managing volunteer interest and scheduling shifts, facilitating virtual trainings, developing tactics for thanking and retaining volunteers, tabling at community events, and generally being ready to problem-solve as the needs of volunteers and our programs evolve and shift with the seasons.
This position offers a unique opportunity to increase community engagement through volunteer recruitment, training, management, appreciation and retention to help Farm Fresh RI achieve its mission of farm vitality and food security. Members must commit to a full year of service, from August 30, 2021, to August 29, 2022. Deadline to apply is July 23, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Assist programs organization-wide in engaging, qualifying, and retaining reliable volunteers.
- Develop strategies to reach and recruit new people to join in volunteering.
- Be responsible for understanding and communicating Farm Fresh needs to potential volunteers in monthly e-newsletter.
- Work with Director of Communications to incorporate volunteer-related messaging on social media and in other communications vehicles.
- Implement procedures for managing volunteer interest and work with program managers to connect volunteers with matching opportunities program-wide.
- Participate in some volunteer shifts for hands-on experience, and help with community outreach—which may consist of tabling at events and providing outreach materials to reach new volunteers as well as promote Farm Fresh programs and services.
- Improve overall volunteer management processes to create a sustainable, ongoing pipeline of volunteers for the organization.
- Act as primary point of contact for volunteers: answering questions, scheduling shifts with program managers, and facilitating onboarding and hours reporting.
- Perform initial screenings and orientation, enhance and facilitate virtual educational and training materials.
- Develop new tactics for thanking and retaining volunteers long-term.
- Work with shifting needs to keep the volunteer program robust as our work changes with the seasons.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Focused attention to detail and administrative acuity
- Desire work in a self-directed environment, and ability to maintain self-motivation
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team, even while working remotely
- Excellent time-management and reporting skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Google Docs
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $513.94
- $6,345 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
- $400 monthly rent credit
- Monthly bus pass
- Student loan deferment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit & childcare assistance
Members must commit to a full year of service, from August 30, 2021, to August 29, 2022. Deadline to apply is July 23, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- To apply, please go to https://americorps.gov/serve/fit-finder/americorps-vista and review the AmeriCorps VISTA information on that site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.”
- For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options.
- Scroll until you find this position, click on it, and click “Apply Now.”
- Submit your application including two references.
- Applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps VISTA site. Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh RI Foundational & Organizational OutcomesAs an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an AmeriCorps grantee and receives funds as part of their State and National program, and to operate our VISTA program.