Round the Bend Farm (RTB), a Center for Restorative Community, is located in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts and is a 115-acre working farm and educational non-profit. We are a living laboratory that cultivates, educates, and empowers people of all ages. We are devoted to the global paradigm shift toward hope and abundance by valuing diversity, modeling nature, and redefining wealth. RTB is seeking a passionate and motivated individual to join our team as a part-time Education Assistant. We are currently accepting applications until Monday, May 22, 2023. Anticipated start date is in early June.
As a part-time Education Assistant, this position requires a highly motivated and energetic individual; someone who is passionate about RTB’s mission, local food systems, and plant-based foods. It is expected that this employee will participate in the overall mission of RTB. This is a part-time (year-round, 25 hours per week) position that will work under the direction of our Executive Director and Education Manager, supporting our education programs and initiatives, within both our farming programs and our kitchen. This position will focus on learning the nuances of our diverse sustainable practices and applications, in order to be able to holistically and wholeheartedly understand and teach the work we do. Tasks will include engaging farm visitors (including RTB volunteers) of all ages in service learning, experiential education, and a wide range of inquiry-based learning projects; hands-on gardening; food processing; and various sustainability initiatives. Our Education Assistant may also participate in shared community cooking, food preservation, monthly Open Farm Days, our Manifest Love Food Truck, and occasional support of other farm projects as needed.
As an organization that strives to value diversity in all that we do (it’s even part of our mission!), we take extra care and place extra value in continuing to diversify our team. Candidate preferences include the following:
- Some education experience, either in the classroom or outdoor education, including classroom management skills and the ability to engage and connect with learners of all ages
- Commitment to working in the scope of RTB’s mission (preference may be given to those who have an active interest in environmental and social justice issues pertaining to both local and global food systems)
- Desire to respect & care for the health of soil, plants, animals and humans
- Desire to participate in and build local, vibrant community
- Persevering work ethic and ability to complete directed tasks in a timely, efficient fashion
- Focused attention to detail and quality
- Personal maturity, mindful self-awareness, dependability and flexibility
- Ability to work outdoors for long hours and in all kinds of conditions
- Ability to work both independently and in groups of diverse people
- Openness to communication, with the ability to accept direction and guidance and ask questions when unclear
- Open mind, open heart and an open palate… we will be eating well!
- Experience in a communal living situation for those who may be interested in potential RTB housing (optional and not guaranteed)
Annual income is $19,500. Part-time benefits include paid vacation days (50 hours per year), paid wellness days (35 hours per year), select paid holidays, 403(b) retirement plan, and flexible spending account;
RTB may provide room & board. Housing may include a private place to sleep (in a tiny house) and a shared kitchen/dining/library space with laundry facilities and internet available. Please note: This job is not contingent upon living on the farm. Additional responsibilities to contribute to the community are required if a candidate decides to live on the farm;
RTB supports healing, self-care and celebrations in a variety of ways, including bi-annual massages, use of RTB holistic medicinal practices (like herbal tinctures and our BioMat), team birthday celebrations and sporadic local beach excursions;
Daily meals crafted from delicious, vibrant, farm produce;
Hands-on learning environment focused on all aspects of sustainable living;
Buzzards Bay breezes and silky southcoast sunsets.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the RTB Candidate Questionnaire (https://forms.gle/YPNQPa26nV72V2Y36) and send a letter of interest telling us about yourself and detailing your motivations and qualifications for this position, along with a brief resume and two professional references by Monday, May 22, 2023. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. Also, please feel free to note in your application which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Please send materials via email (preferred) to [email protected] or via snail mail at:
Round the Bend Farm (RTB)
92 Allens Neck Road
South Dartmouth, MA 02748
Attn: Heather Zine