Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an innovative and energetic Farm to Food Pantry AmeriCorps VISTA with demonstrated initiative, strong organization, and outstanding communication skills to increase capacity of Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s to best serve local Food Pantries and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) shoppers in accessing healthful locally sourced and produced food. Market Mobile is Farm Fresh’s local food distribution platform that aggregates products across a variety of local and regional farms and food producers in a way that allows them to receive a fair price for their products while reaching new markets. Our Market Mobile program is also able to accept SNAP benefits, and Farm Fresh fundraises to provide a 50% discount on fresh fruits and vegetables purchased through the platform for SNAP shoppers.
This position offers a unique opportunity to develop new programs within our organization supporting food pantry and SNAP shoppers while streamlining systems so that Farm Fresh can broaden our reach to community members who would not otherwise access these important benefits. Members must commit to a full year of service, from May 10, 2021, to May 9, 2022. Deadline to apply is April 2, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Research national best practices in connecting local farmers and producers to food pantry and meal distribution sites.
- Collaborate with the Farm Direct Food Security AmeriCorps VISTA to align SNAP-matching programs operated between Market Mobile and Farm Fresh’s Farmers Markets program.
- Develop systems and tools to integrate local food pantry deliveries made by Farm Fresh via the Market Mobile program.
- Support customer service troubleshooting for SNAP shoppers and Food Pantry clients placing orders.
- Assist in tracking and communicating Farm to Food Pantry purchase impacts.
- Enhance the ordering and payment processes for food pantries and SNAP customers to access locally sourced food options through Market Mobile.
- Investigate and address barriers that prevent healthy food access through Market Mobile, such as language and access to technology.
- Pilot new outreach strategies, systems, and materials to increase the amount of SNAP spent through Market Mobile.
- Evaluate satisfaction level and barriers for food pantry partners and SNAP shoppers accessing food via Market Mobile.
- Document systems and tools into Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and training activities.
- Must have a high school diploma/GED. College degree (or working toward one) preferred but not required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of position commencement.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Permanent Resident and be able to provide documentation of citizenship.
- Must be able to build relationships with people from varied cultural, economic, educational, racial, and religious backgrounds.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Desire to work in a self-directed environment, and ability to maintain self-motivation
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team, even while working remotely
- Excellent time-management and reporting skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Google Docs or similar word processing applications
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Spanish or other language skills a plus
- Willingness to work hands-on to pilot programs within the Farm Fresh packhouse
- Must be able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $479.08
- Student loan deferment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit & childcare assistance
- $6,195 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
Applications are due by April 2, 2021, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- To apply, please go to: http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp and review the AmeriCorps VISTA information on that site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.”
- For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options.
- Scroll until you find this position, click on it, and click “Apply Now.”
- Submit your application including two references.
*Applications must be submitted through this AmeriCorps VISTA site. Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly.
About Farm Fresh RI
Farm Fresh has grown briskly since achieving 501c3 status in 2007, to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for local and regional farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh RI hosts a variety of programs to enhance the local food system, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh also operates a range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of eaters with thousands of farmers and food producers across the Northeast region.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health, and quality of life of farmers and eaters in our region.
Vision: A Northeast region abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.