Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an Education Innovations AmeriCorps VISTA with demonstrated initiative and clear organizational and communication skills to increase Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s Community Education program capacity. The Education Innovation (EI) AmeriCorps VISTA member will enhance and expand the educational opportunities that Farm Fresh RI provides to school and university communities. This position will create a standardized student internship track that will support the development of young emerging leaders in the food system. Additionally, this member will craft Farm to School (F2S) and Community Education (CE) program activities with external partners that leverage the recruited interns to strengthen the long-term impact of our initiatives across Rhode Island. This will allow Farm Fresh to simultaneously maximize internal organizational capacity to manage volunteers and interns, and maximize alignment and sustainability of our programming. This position requires a one-year commitment to begin January 16, 2023. Application deadline is December 6, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct a needs assessment and asset map of Farm Fresh RI, college, and high school internship opportunities relating to food systems and health fields of study.
- Enhance and expand current knowledge of best practices and models for capacity building for F2S.
- Develop new activities and programs identified for internships, including afterschool and summer camps.
- Create an internship model proposal including activities, budget, timelines and implement and pilot programming, where applicable.
- Assist CE staff with program implementation for youth, families, and seniors.
- Participate in the program performance measurement process.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed to Perform This Role
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Project planning skills
- Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Docs
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Spanish or other language skills a plus
- Nutrition/Health/General education experience preferred
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Reliable access to a car required
Physical Demands (Physical, Mental & Environmental)
The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit/stand for long periods of time at a desk; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls on computers; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear in meetings and on the telephone or on the computer in an office or variable setting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Employees must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel, which may include travel via car, train or bus.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improve lives and foster civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $877.66
- $600 monthly rent stipend
- Monthly bus pass
- Student loan deferment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit & childcare assistance
- $6,895 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
Members must be able to commit to a full year of service, from January 16, 2024 to January 15, 2025. Deadline to apply is December 6, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Please go to: https://americorps.gov/serve/fit-finder/americorps-vista and review the AmeriCorps VISTA information on this site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.” For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options. Scroll until you find this position. Click on it and choose “Apply Now.” Submit your application including two references.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
- Applications must be submitted through this AmeriCorps VISTA site, Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island has grown briskly since achieving 501c3 status in 2007, to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for local and regional farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh RI hosts a variety of programs to enhance the local food system, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh also operates a range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect eaters with farmers and food producers across the New England region.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health, and quality of life of farmers and eaters in our region.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every table.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.