Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an outgoing and energetic Youth Culinary Education AmeriCorps VISTA with demonstrated initiative and clear organizational communication skills to build capacity for the Farm Fresh RI’s Harvest Kitchen program. Harvest Kitchen is a 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth within the Department of Children Youth and Families (DCYF). The youth create a line of high-quality preserved foods using ingredients sourced from local farms, while building a stable foundation to maintain employment beyond their time with Harvest Kitchen.
This position offers a unique opportunity to support existing trainees through curriculum enhancement and evaluation, develop partnerships with local social service agencies, and assist Harvest Kitchen program staff in supporting youth trainees and referring themto additional services and opportunities beyond the Harvest Kitchen program. This position requires a one-year commitment to begin in late Fall/early Winter 2022-2023. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis but candidates who apply by September 30, 2022will be prioritized.
- Refine existing Harvest Kitchen training curriculum to deepen activities around food security, farming, and community economic development.
- Enhance Harvest Kitchen training curriculum with experiential learning opportunities such as field trips or coordinating guest speaker events.
- Draft Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for field trips and guest speaker coordination.
- Evaluate new curriculum improvements and draft recommendations for future trainee cohorts.
- Research current and past Harvest Kitchen internship partners to identify systems needed to support internship success.
- Streamline the Harvest Kitchen internship referral process.
- Cultivate relationships with new and existing internship sites.
- Seek opportunities for collaboration between Harvest Kitchen trainees and outside organization programs and services.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Docs
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Spanish skills or other language skills are a plus
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- A U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- At least 18 years old
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- No more than three previous terms as an AmeriCorps Member
- Pass a criminal history background check, for recurring access to vulnerable populations, including a search of the National Sex Offenders Public Website, a Rhode Island criminal record check, state of residence if different than Rhode Island, and a fingerprint-based FBI background check
Farm Fresh has grown briskly since achieving 501c3 status in 2007, to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for local and regional farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh RI hosts a variety of programs to enhance the local food system, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh also operates a range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect eaters with farmers and food producers across the Northeast region.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health, and quality of life of farmers and eaters in our region.
Vision: A Northeast region abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improve lives and foster civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $675.08
- Monthly rent stipend of $600
- Student loan deferment
- Option of monthly bus pass or mileage reimbursement for use of a personal vehicle for service-related activities
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit & childcare assistance
- $6,495 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
This position requires a one-year commitment to begin in late Fall/early Winter 2022-2023. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis but candidates who apply by September 30, 2022 will be prioritized.
- Please go to: http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp and review the AmeriCorps VISTA information on that site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.” For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options. Scroll until you find this position. Click on it and choose “Apply Now.” Submit your application including 2 references.
- No calls or walk-ins please.
NOTE: Applications must be submitted through this AmeriCorps VISTA site, Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly but questions can be emailed to [email protected].
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an AmeriCorps grantee and receives funds as part of their State and National program, and to operate our VISTA program.