Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking a Farm to Community AmeriCorps member to work with our Community Education and Farm to School team on implementing local food and nutrition program activities across RI. They will design and implement local food and nutrition education activities alongside staff and volunteers. They will ensure our education department works with community partners to extend greater access to healthy, locally grown food across populations from pre-k to seniors. This includes supporting cooking classes, taste tests, farmers market programming, garden programs, in-school and after-school food and nutrition education program series, among other exciting opportunities to bring local food and agriculture knowledge and access to the community. Being an enthusiastic healthy food advocate is a must, and understanding of growing and garden practices is preferred but not required. This position starts September 21, 2020. Deadline to apply is 9/6/2020.
- Refine existing food literacy and nutrition curriculum, and develop new programming based on community and organizational needs.
- Implement local food programming at various community sites including schools, after school program sites, farmers markets, camps, and senior centers.
- Establish meaningful relationships with partners and stakeholders including farmers, school professionals, community site leaders, students, and families.
- Support data tracking and program performance measurement systems.
- Provide outreach to new sites and populations, and communications support.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must commit to a full 45-week, approx. 20 hour/week AmeriCorps service term from September 2020 to August 2021
- Must have high school diploma/GED
- College degree or working towards one preferred but not required
- Must be willing to work occasional nights (until 7pm) and weekends; schedules are determined by program needs and will be worked out with supervisor
- Must be able to work well in a diverse environment
- Must be able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Be a US Citizen, U.S. National, or Permanent Resident and be able to provide documentation of citizenship
- Be willing to undergo a National Criminal History Background Check
- Strong desire to work within communities to provide services
- Experience with youth/youth development preferred
- Experience in group facilitation, classroom and/or training is preferred
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Self starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Must hold a valid drivers license and have access to reliable transportation
- Spanish skills or other language skills are a plus
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, and fighting poverty. Members commit to a fixed term of service and receive a living allowance and end of service education award.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- $7000 living stipend, divided and paid weekly (est. $156.00 per week)
- $3097.50 Segal Education Award (upon completion of 900 hours of service)
- Student loan forbearance
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- Go to [https://www.farmfreshri.org/jobs](https://www.farmfreshri.org/jobs) and select “Farm to Community AmeriCorps Member” and fill out the online application.
- Applications are due September 6, 2020.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an equal opportunity employer.