Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking a full-time Nutrition Education Program Director. The Nutrition Education Program Director, reporting to the Program Director for Community Access, is responsible for supervising all of Farm Fresh RI’s Farm to School and Nutrition Education program activities by managing relationships with community partners, managing program staff, supervising performance measurement, and participating in Farm Fresh RI Farm to School and Nutrition Education program strategy. They will work closely under the management of the Community Access Program Director on a small, energetic, and organized team made up of two full-time AmeriCorps VISTA members, and one part-time program staff member.
An ideal candidate is committed to supporting local farmers and agriculture; has experience with network building and nutrition education; and has strong program management skills
About Farm to School Programs at Farm Fresh Rhode Island
Farm Fresh RI manages a diverse variety of programs, many of which increase the availability and affordability of locally sourced foods for all New Englanders. An important aspect of developing the local food system is growing the demand for local food through educational activities. The food that is harvested regionally consists of high quality fruits, vegetables, and proteins — ingredients for a diet high in nutrition. Providing consumers with the tools to access and enjoy these products is the task of our Nutrition Education department.
Since 2009, we have provided community education series at farmers markets, senior centers, libraries — and more recently at early childcare centers and at in-school and after-school programs. In 2013, Farm Fresh RI began supporting state Farm to School efforts and is now the National Farm to School Network’s core partner for the state of Rhode Island. Our Farm to School and Nutrition Education programs emphasize hands-on, age-appropriate sessions on agriculture, nutrition, gardening, and cooking. The program also educates food service managers and purchasers on the benefits of purchasing locally grown food; provides support in making local purchases and integrating them into cafeteria/congregate meal settings; and serves as a liaison to the farming community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage all Farm to School and Nutrition Education part-time program staff and AmeriCorp VISTA positions.
- Supervise Farm to School and Nutrition Education program grant, outcomes, and activities. Submit grant invoices and draft grant reports.
- Build and maintain Farm to School stakeholder relationships with Farm Fresh RI’s nonprofit partners, state agencies, farmers, schools, and food-service management companies.
- Participate in national and regional Farm to School workgroups to stay abreast of best practices to inform future RI strategic efforts.
- Support local procurement and value chains between farmers and institutional purchasers.
- Execute scheduled education program activities as needed.
- Commitment to Farm Fresh RI mission and values
- Strong interpersonal skills (patience, respect, transparency)
- Ability to follow Nutrition Education program procedures
- Strong professional and practical communications skills (written and verbal)
- Outgoing and able to connect with a range of audiences, including small children and the elderly
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Able to work effectively on a team
- Ability to multitask and respond to changing priorities
- Interest in local food systems and food justice
- Available to work some evening and occasional weekend hours
- Valid drivers license and access to reliable transportation
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Background check required
Candidates with any of the following skills will be prioritized:
- Past experience in an education settings
- Past experience with Farm to School activities
- Spanish speaking or non-English language skills
- Candidates from Providence, Pawtucket, and Central Falls
- Knowledge of, and experience with, community health work
- Farming, food safety, or foodservice experience
- Strong Microsoft Office and Google Suite skills
- Full-time position: 40 hours a week, flexible schedule depending on the season
- Benefits: Health & dental insurance packages available, 15 paid vacation days, mileage reimbursement
- Please send your resume and cover letter Attn: Sheri Griffin to email@example.com with subject line “Farm to School Director Application.”
- Final application deadline May 28, 2019; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.