Since 2004, Farm Fresh Rhode Island has been providing affordable markets selling local, fresh foods in low-income neighborhoods. We value increasing healthy food access while at the same time maintaining fair prices to farmers and transparency around local food systems. All markets managed by Farm Fresh RI accept and encourage the use of federal food assistance programs.
Farm Fresh RI is seeking committed and reliable team-players to join our team as Farmers Market Associates. We are looking for one or more dedicated team members who will assist in managing the Fresh Bucks table at a number of farmers markets for the full 2021 outdoor season, including Broad Street, Neutaconkanut Park, Central Falls, Goddard Park, and South Kingstown farmers markets.
Farm Fresh RI staff will train the Market Associate on tasks necessary to be a part of the Summer Market Team. We seek someone who is detail oriented, responsible, and passionate about contributing to increasing access to healthy food in Rhode Island. Applicants must commit to fulfilling the entire market season and provide their own transportation of market equipment to and from market sites and the Farm Fresh office. Staff will be reimbursed for mileage.
The Market Associate working at the South Kingstown farmers market will keep market materials at their home and will be responsible for submitting data to Farm Fresh RI each week.
- Part-time, seasonal positions. Applicants staff single or multiple markets for the season. (7-24 hours a week depending on availability and interest)
- Most markets run July-October. Additional hours will be required for training and season debriefs. Some markets start in May and June.
- Potential for additional hours to assist with market outreach and events.
- Provide transportation for market equipment from Providence office to market sites.
- Set up and break down market tent and table.
- Assist with vendor setup as needed.
- Enforce market rules and regulations with all vendors and customers.
- Run card machine for credit card and EBT customers and distribute Fresh Bucks tokens for transactions.
- Keep record of transactions and balance the market paperwork at end of market.
- Collect Fresh Bucks tokens from vendors at end of market and write receipts.
- Maintain positive equitable relations with all market vendors and customers.
- Work with market volunteers and interns when necessary.
Education, Knowledge, Experience Required
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Multi-lingual proficiency preferred (Spanish speaking required for Neutaconkanut Park and Central Falls locations).
- Interest in nutrition, public health, and environmental issues preferred.
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds.
- Must have access to reliable transportation for transporting market equipment to and from program sites across the state.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Interpersonal skills, sociable personality
- Basic math and accounting
- Detail oriented
- Starting $14.50- $16/hr
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Please apply online.
- Application deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
About Farm Fresh Rhode Island
Farm Fresh RI’s mission is to grow a local food system that values the health, environment, and quality of life of the growers and eaters in our region. We envision a Northeast abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every table. We offer farmers markets and transparent enterprise systems that help farmers, fishers, and food businesses in the Northeast reach more customers. And we work with the community through outreach, incentives, and educational programs to increase the accessibility and affordability of fresh, local foods.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.