Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking a Food Access Program Director who is responsible for the oversight of all Farm Fresh RI Farmers Market and Food Access programs. Currently Farm Fresh RI manages 9 seasonal farmers markets and supports a network of over 20 partners in facilitating Food Access programs at farmers markets, farm stands, and CSAs statewide. The largest Food Access program managed by Farm Fresh RI is the Bonus Bucks program, which matches the value of SNAP spent for locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables.
Farm Fresh Food Access programming includes efforts to increase the affordability and availability of fresh, local foods for all residents of Rhode Island. Farm Fresh credits farms in serving a critical role for solving foods-related crises in Rhode Island, including hunger and diet-related disease. Hosting farmers markets is a crucial strategy in supporting the local food economy while also providing healthy foods directly to communities. The Food Access Program Director will bridge the gap between agriculture and public health by developing and maintaining key partnerships and programs, seeking new connections, and ensuring Food Access programs are meeting community needs.
The Food Access Program Director is a critical member of the Farm Fresh RI management team and will serve as a key external face of Farm Fresh RI in the community. They will work closely with the Senior Management team to ensure the long-term success and viability of Food Access initiatives while also delivering quality programs that carry out the mission of Farm Fresh RI. This is a new position that will start at an exciting point in Farm Fresh RI history as we transition to our new home in the Valley neighborhood of Providence.
Program Planning, Execution, and Budget Management (40% time)
- Oversee implementation of current Food Access programs including: Farmers Markets, Fresh Bucks, Bonus Bucks, and Fruit and Veggie Rx programs and work with Senior Management Team on new program development
- Ensure Farmers Market and Food Access activities are compliant with funder, state, and local city requirements
- Support the development and collection of internal program feedback and required grant-tracking systems
- In partnership with the Senior Management Team, help with budget development and monitoring for Food Access programs
- Procure necessary farmers market equipment, signage, and supplies as needed
- Work with Senior Management Team on strategic planning for the growth and development of Food Access programs
- Personally staff one weekly farmers market year-round (including Saturdays 7am -2pm November through April)
- Assist with grant reporting as needed
Farm Fresh Market Outreach and Community Engagement (40% time)
- Maintain and deepen relationships with existing farmers market site partners.
- Engage with new community partners around increasing food access via Farm Fresh RI programs in the cities of Providence, Pawtucket, Central Falls, and Woonsocket.
- Manage distribution of farmers market program marketing materials, seeking/selecting tabling opportunities for part-time staff to attend.
- Provide support to the network of RI farmers market managers and USDA FINI grant partners by managing listserv membership and providing communications and training as needed.
- Maintain up-to-date information on RI farmers markets, farm stands, and CSAs that accept SNAP, WIC, and Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Programs.
- Expand communications and implement outreach strategies around how to use SNAP, Fresh Bucks, and WIC/Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Programs at local food outlets.
- Host tours and provide resources that educate about Farm Fresh Food Access programs.
- Schedule community partners to attend weekly farmers markets.
- Monitor websites and work with communications staff to keep public information current and up to date.
Team Management (20% time)
- Direct, plan, and coordinate the work of 1-2 full-time staff, 6 part-time seasonal staff, AmeriCorps members, interns, and volunteers — including recruitment, supervision and evaluation, training, and team building.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
- Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Experience in a team management role with strengths in hiring, managing, and empowering individuals and teams
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Farm Fresh RI’s mission and values
- Passion for local food systems and social justice
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including early evening and weekends as needed
- Proficiency in computer programs including Microsoft Office and G Suite
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds, carry items over uneven surfaces, and stand for extended periods of time
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable access to a car
- This position is subject to change over time given needs of the organization
Candidates with any of the following skills will be prioritized:
- Spanish speaking or non-English language skills
- Deep understanding of communities in Providence, Pawtucket, and Central Falls
- Knowledge and experience with community organizing
- Please send your resume and cover letter Attn: Thea Upham to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Food Access Program Director.”
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Final application deadline is Sept 6, 2020.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh RI Foundational & Organizational OutcomesAs an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.