Harvest Kitchen is part of Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s initiative to increase the variety of value-added local farm products available, and part of the Farm Fresh RI mission to create a community-based food system. Started in 2010, Harvest Kitchen covers multiple facets of programming, including a 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth that are involved with the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF); and a sister production/training program that operates within the Rhode Island Training School. All products created by Harvest Kitchen use ingredients sourced from local farms. The program focuses on empowering youth to understand how their activities connect to the local food system while gaining the necessary skills and experiences to be able to pursue their personal and professional goals.
Job Function/Purpose of Role
The Harvest Kitchen Farmers Market Program Associate reports directly to the Harvest Kitchen Program Director. This position plays a key role on the Harvest Kitchen farmers market team by supporting all farmers market activities with a focus on organizing back end operations (inventory)
and outreach tactics (HK cafe and job training promotion).
This role demands an ability to stay organized, and readily jump back and forth between diverse task areas. Key position responsibilities will include maintaining positive relationships with customers and market vendors, as well as clear and responsive communication with Supervisor via
text/email. Successful candidates will be highly independently motivated and able to work autonomously with integrity, attention to detail, and enthusiasm. This is a part-time, hourly position requiring 15-20 hours per week. Final application deadline is May 1, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Monitor market bin resetting.
- Organize and pack market materials for transport to farmers markets.
- Record sales transactions and balance market transactions at the end of each market.
- Assist with day-to-day operation troubleshooting for farmers market programs.
- Transport supplies, materials and equipment for weekly farmers markets and outreach events.
- Maintain market equipment and supplies; ensure timely communication with supervisor regarding equipment repairs and supply orders.
- Personally represent Farm Fresh RI and Harvest Kitchen at markets; understanding our mission and products.
- Available to work a flexible schedule including early evening and weekends; Saturdays 7am-2pm a must.
- Outgoing and able to connect with a range of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills (patience, respect, transparency)
- Willingness and enthusiasm to work in & respond to varying seasonal weather conditions
- Ability to stand for up to 3-4 hours
- Reliable access to a personal vehicle to travel between market sites and transport equipment
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Basic math and accounting skills
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 lbs
Candidates with any of the following skills will be prioritized.
- Spanish speaking or other non-English language skills
- Candidates from Providence, Pawtucket, and Central Falls
- Strong Microsoft Office and Google Suite skills
Hours & Benefits
- Part-time position: 15-20 hours a week — Saturday morning (7am-2pm) is required, and weekday evening shifts may be required June-November.
- $14/hour plus mileage
- Please send your resume to Sean Kontos at [email protected] with subject line “HK Markets Associate Application”
- Final application deadline May 1, 2021; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh RI Foundational & Organizational Outcomes
As an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.