Full-Time Hourly Position 32-40hrs/week. Saturday mornings required (9:00am-2:00pm)
Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s Harvest Kitchen (HK) Food Service Manager, reporting directly to the HK Program Director and HK Chef Educator, is responsible for assistance in all areas of both wholesale and retail food production and youth job training/education. This position requires a background in foodservice, knowledge of the local food system, and desire to work with RI adolescent youth from various backgrounds. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: development of seasonal recipes, catering, working one-on-one with youth trainees, adherence to all RI Department of Health and US FDA guidelines, and efficient kitchen management.
Harvest Kitchen is part of Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s initiative to increase the variety of value-added local farm products available, and part of the Farm Fresh RI mission to create a community-based food system. Started in 2010, Harvest Kitchen covers multiple facets of programming, including a 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth that are involved with the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF); and a sister production/training program that operates within the Rhode Island Training School. All products created by Harvest Kitchen use ingredients sourced from local farms. The program focuses on empowering youth to understand how their activities connect to the local food system while gaining the necessary skills and experiences to be able to pursue their personal and professional goals.
- Assist in teaching HK youth trainees
- Thoughtful and creative approach to cooking
- Assist in HK food production projects
- Assist in management of volunteers and interns working with HK
- Maintenance of kitchen equipment and logs
- Mentoring and guidance of HK youth trainees
- Development of seasonal recipes
- Build and maintain relationships with partner sites and DCYF
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Must be able to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Must be able to think, react, iterate, and respond in a fast-paced environment
- Must have or be willing to obtain a ServeSafe Food Safety Manager certification
- Must be able to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Must be available to work Saturdays 9:00am to 2:00pm
- Must be able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Must be willing to obtain a BCI
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal) preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite preferred
- Spanish skills or other language skills are a plus
- Experience with youth education and/or training is a plus
Payment & Benefits
- $17 an hour
- 15 days of paid-time-off, accrued according to hours worked
- Health and dental Insurance, supplemental insurance
- Money and assistance toward professional development
- IRA match after two years of employment
- Please forward resumes and cover letters to [email protected]. Include: "Attn: Sean Kontos - Food Service Manager Application" in the subject line.
- Final application deadline is February 15, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Please no phone calls or drop-ins
Farm Fresh RI Foundational & Organizational OutcomesAs an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.