The Harvest Kitchen (HK) Food Service Manager, reporting directly to the HK Program Director and HK Chef Educator, is responsible for assistance in all areas of both wholesale and retail food production and youth job training/education. This position requires a background in foodservice, knowledge of the local food system, and desire to work with RI adolescent youth from various backgrounds. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: development of seasonal recipes, catering, working one-on-one with youth trainees, adherence to all RI Department of Health and US FDA guidelines, and efficient kitchen management.
Harvest Kitchen is part of Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s initiative to increase the variety of value-added local farm products available, and part of the Farm Fresh RI mission to create a community-based food system. Started in 2010, Harvest Kitchen covers multiple facets of programming, including a 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth that are involved with the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF); and a sister production/training program that operates within the Rhode Island Training School. All products created by Harvest Kitchen use ingredients sourced from local farms. The program focuses on empowering youth to understand how their activities connect to the local food system while gaining the necessary skills and experiences to be able to pursue their personal and professional goals.
- Assist in teaching HK youth trainees
- Thoughtful and creative approach to cooking
- Assist in HK food production projects
- Assist in management of volunteers and interns working with HK
- Maintenance of kitchen equipment and logs
- Mentoring and guidance of HK youth trainees
- Development of seasonal recipes
- Build and maintain relationships with partner sites and DCYF
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Must be able to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Must be able to think, react, iterate, and respond in a fast-paced environment
- Must have or be willing to obtain a ServeSafe Food Safety Manager certification
- Must be able to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Must be available to work Saturdays 9:00am to 2:00pm
- Must be able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Must be willing to obtain a BCI
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal) preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite preferred
- Spanish skills or other language skills are a plus
- Experience with youth education and/or training is a plus
Hours & Benefits
- $17 an hour
- 15 days of paid-time-off, accrued according to hours worked
- Health and dental Insurance, supplemental insurance
- Funds and assistance toward professional development
- IRA match after 2 years of employment
- Please send resumes and cover letters to [email protected] and include "Attn: Sean Kontos - Food Service Manager Application" in the subject line.
- Final application deadline is May 1, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
- Please no phone calls or drop-ins
About Farm Fresh Rhode Island
Farm Fresh RI’s mission is to grow a local food system that values the health, environment, and quality of life of the growers and eaters in our region. We envision a Northeast abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every table. We offer farmers markets and transparent enterprise systems that help farmers, fishers, and food businesses in the Northeast reach more customers. And we work with the community through outreach, incentives, and educational programs to increase the accessibility and affordability of fresh, local foods.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.