This is a part-time hourly position, 32 hours/week — Saturday mornings required (7am-2pm).
Harvest Kitchen is a program of Farm Fresh Rhode Island. It is part of Farm Fresh RI’s initiative to increase the variety of value-added local farm products available, and part of the organization’s mission to create a community-based food system. Started in 2010, Harvest Kitchen covers multiple facets of programming, including a 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth that are involved with the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF); a sister production/training program that operates within the Rhode Island Training School; and a local food cafe attached to our commercial kitchen and training space that helps support our training program). All products created by Harvest Kitchen use ingredients sourced from local farms. The program focuses on empowering youth to understand how their activities connect to the local food system while gaining the necessary skills and experiences to be able to pursue their personal and professional goals.
Job Function/Purpose of Role
The Harvest Kitchen Markets Lead reports directly to the Harvest Kitchen (HK) Program Director to ensure that all market sales goals are met, inventory is reconciled monthly, and farmers markets are staffed effectively. Working closely with the HK Chef Educator, the Markets Lead prepares our trainees to participate in farmers markets by providing retail and customer service education. The Markets Lead should be willing and able to work in our Pawtucket location with HK students at least once a week to better familiarize themself with the program and what it is that we try to do.
Farmers Market Responsibilities
- Pack and stage product and materials to be sold at all Farm Fresh RI/HK retail sales outlets.
- Transport market sales equipment and product from our Providence office to market sites and off-site events.
- Ensure marketing materials accurately reflect pricing, mission, and seasonality.
- Record sales transactions and balance market sales sheets at the end of each market.
- Manage and supervise Harvest Kitchen seasonal market staff.
- Purchase and maintain inventory on market supplies.
- Maintain updated inventory-level tracking documents and submit monthly inventory reports.
- Educate trainees on retail sales and customer service.
- Supervise and mentor trainees at the markets.
Harvest Kitchen Cafe Responsibilities
- Perform administrative tasks: documents, organizing, and updating.
- Mentor trainees in the cafe.
- Assist in management of volunteers at the cafe.
- Assist in production of the high-quality jarred products within the HK product line.
- Outgoing and able to connect with a range of audiences
- Multilingual, Spanish speaking preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Interest in nutrition, public health, and environmental issues preferred
- Experience in retail sales preferred
- Ability to multitask and respond to changing priorities
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills and data interpretation
- Valid drivers license and reliable transportation
- Available to work Saturdays 7:00am-2:30pm year-round
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- $17 an hour
- Mileage reimbursement
- Email [email protected] with the subject line “HK Farmers Market Lead.”
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- No phone calls or walk-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island Foundational & Organizational Outcomes
As an organization we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities.
- Diversity, Inclusion & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers and visitors are safe in our office and program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable and equitable food system development, and understand how Farm Fresh programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and constituents of all Farm Fresh programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.