Begun in 2004 as a student thesis project at Brown University, Farm Fresh has grown briskly to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for RI farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh achieved 501c3 status in 2007, and has since implemented a variety of programs to enhance the local food system of the Rhode Island region, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of RI, MA and CT eaters with thousands of RI, MA and CT farmers.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of RI farmers and eaters.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
Harvest Kitchen is a culinary job-training program for youth ages 16–19 involved with the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF). Trainees work to create value-added products using ingredients sourced from local farms, and get hands-on retail experience selling their goods at farmers markets and working in our Local Foods Café in downtown Pawtucket.
The Harvest Kitchen position is an approximately 12 hours/week position working directly with the Harvest Kitchen Program Director, and HK Retail Supervisor. This position could b
Depending on your interests, some tasks this position may include are as follows:
- Work alongside our youth trainees and chef educators on the production of value-added products such as our signature Apple Chips, Stewed Tomatoes, Pickles, and more
- Assist with implementation and hands-on culinary activities
- Shifts available Monday–Friday, 10:30am to 1:30pm and 3:30 to 6:30pm
- Work alongside our retail staff and youth trainees in the front of house
Shifts available Monday–Friday
- Outreach and event-coordination assistance
Farmers Market Tabling
- Work alongside our youth trainees at our retail table at the farmers market, selling Harvest Kitchen products as well as products made by other small producers (to supplement the market offerings)
- Maintain positive, equitable relations with all market vendors and customers
- Shifts available at the Pawtucket Wintertime farmers Market Saturdays 8:00am to 2:00pm (November through end of April), and vary throughout the summer market season (May through end of October)
Availability and Hours
· Background check (BCI) required
· Flexible hours approximately 12 hours per week depending on applicant’s interest
· Flexible start and end dates with a minimum three month commitment required
To apply, or with any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Harvest Kitchen Position Posting” in the subject line and attach a resume and a letter of interest.