Sous Chef Job Posting
Round the Bend Farm (RTB), a Center for Restorative Community, located in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts, is a 115-acre working farm and educational non-profit. We are a living laboratory that cultivates, educates, and empowers people of all ages. We are devoted to the global paradigm shift toward hope and abundance by valuing diversity, modeling nature, and redefining wealth. RTB is seeking a passionate and motivated individual to join our team as a full-time Sous Chef. We are accepting applications until Friday, December 29, 2023. Anticipated start date is February 2024.
Our Sous Chef position requires a highly motivated and energetic individual; someone who is passionate about RTB’s mission, local food systems, and plant-based foods. This teammate will participate in the overall mission of RTB, working directly with our Executive Chef & Kitchen Director to keep RTB’s commercial kitchen running smoothly, efficiently and safely, with an emphasis on supporting day to day management of the commercial kitchen space, along with supporting events, educational initiatives, and our new Manifest Love Food Truck. Tasks include (but are not limited to) assisting with harvesting, preparing, processing, organizing, and storing of various foods, supporting the Executive Chef & Kitchen Director in menu development and recipe preparations, and helping with the set-up and break-down duties for various events and our Manifest Love Food Truck. The Sous Chef is expected to be a team player, yet able to work independently at times; this teammate needs to be extremely flexible in nature and able to keep kitchen work happening at an efficient pace, with an emphasis on tidiness and helping to maintain clean, safe spaces throughout.
As an organization that strives to value diversity in all that we do (it’s even part of our mission!), we take care and place extra value in continuing to diversify our team. Candidate preferences include the following:
- At least 18 years of age with a MA (or other state) driver’s license;
- At least one year of experience in kitchen-related work environment; Cooking experience preferably in a medium to high volume environment (requires a certain pace) and willingness to share and learn new skills (BS degree in Culinary Science or related certificate is a plus)
- Physical ability to lift and move 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of & ability to conform to food service sanitations practices
- ServSafe Manager Certification, Allergen Awareness Training, First Aid/CPR/AED (or comparable food handlers permit to fulfill state regulations & requirements) *may obtain certifications after hiring
- Proficiency in the use of certain kitchen tools and cooking/processing equipment (i.e. Robot coupe, convection ovens, Vitamix, Excalibur dehydrator, etc…) and ability to use equipment properly and safely (training may be provided as needed)
- Persevering work ethic and ability to work well under time constraints and be able to meet deadlines
- Focused attention to detail and quality, with strong organizational skills and a positive attitude
- Ability to communicate effectively (in a clear and concise manner) with our team and management, with the ability to accept direction and guidance and ask questions when unclear
- Strong level of comfort with basic math skills, specific to scaling recipes as needed
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and to work independently on repetitive tasks (i.e. slicing and prepping the harvest to be prepared/processed) for long periods of time
- Ability to work both independently and in groups of diverse people
- Commitment to working in the scope of RTB’s mission (preference may be given to those who have an active interest in environmental and social justice issues pertaining to both local and global food systems)
- Passionate about creating and sharing healthy good food and helping provide healthy food access and education especially to marginalized communities
- Desire to respect and care for the health of soil, plants, animals and humans
- Personal maturity, mindful self-awareness, dependability, and flexibility
Full-time annual wages are $35,360.00 (for 40 hours per week). Full-time benefits include worker’s compensation, 403(b) retirement plan, health & dental insurance, flexible spending account, life & disability insurance, paid vacation days (80 hours per year), paid wellness days (56 hours per year) and select paid holidays;
RTB may provide room & board and internet access. Housing may include a private place to sleep (in a tiny house) and a shared kitchen/dining/library space with laundry facilities available. (Please note: This job is not contingent upon living on the farm. Additional responsibilities to contribute to the community are required if a candidate decides to live on the farm.)
RTB supports healing, self-care and celebrations in a variety of ways, including bi-annual massages, use of RTB holistic medicinal practices (i.e. herbal tinctures and our BioMat), team birthday celebrations and sporadic local beach excursions;
Daily meals crafted from delicious, vibrant, farm produce;
Hands-on learning environment focused on all aspects of sustainable living;
Buzzards Bay breezes and silky southcoast sunsets
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the RTB Candidate Questionnaire (https://forms.gle/eDsbtGmh2UyJhbwz9) and send a letter of interest telling us about yourself and detailing your motivations and qualifications for this position, along with a detailed resume and two professional references. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know. Also, please feel free to note in your application which pronouns you use.
Please send materials via email (preferred) to [email protected] or via snail mail at:
Round the Bend Farm
92 Allens Neck Road
South Dartmouth, MA 02748
Attn: Heather Zine
ROUND THE BEND FARM (RTB) IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
RTB values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. RTB is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.