About the Organization:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting
future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people
as possible in what we do. The organization was founded in 1891 by a group of
visionary volunteers to protect special places across the state of Massachusetts and to preserve properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value for public use and enjoyment. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 40,000 members
Summary of Position:
The Assistant Livestock Manager assists and supports the continued development and ongoing management of a multi-site, diversified livestock operation based out of Moose Hill Farm and Powisset Farm. This position requires building and maintaining farm infrastructure and facilities, operating equipment, and general care and management of livestock at all working Trustees locations. Assistance with daily chores including but not limited to cattle rotations, pig and chicken feeding, egg collection, watering, fencing, tree work and data collection for pasture improvement and animal health will be required.
The Assistant Livestock Manager reports to the Livestock Manager and works closely with other livestock program and farm staff.
- Assist with and conduct daily animal rotations, feeding and general care at all working locations.
- Assist in building and improving infrastructure and resources at all farm properties.
- Assist with management of the cattle, swine and chicken grazing infrastructure including pastures, woods, shelters, water systems, travel lanes, and fences.
- Clean and maintain all livestock program buildings, equipment and facilities.
- Operate farm machinery and equipment responsibly and safely.
- Report animal health issues and assist in administering treatment programs.
- Assist in identifying and assessing grazing lands and logistic efficiencies in the operation.
- Assistance with hay production, as needed.
- Safely transport equipment, livestock, and meat, as needed.
- Assist in the cleaning (eggs), inventory, storage, and sale of all meat and animal products.
- Assist in collecting basic data for pasture conditions, ecological metrics, and sustainability criteria.
- Interact with volunteers and the general public, and participate in public programs, when necessary
- Follow policies and best management practices for humane and healthy treatment of animals at The Trustees.
- Understand and support the Trustees organizational policies strategic goals
- Work and assist in variable locations with other Trustees staff on livestock and farm projects.
- Travel frequently to address issues at the seasonal working landscapes.
- Fulfill essential duties as needed during weekends, overnight, and on holidays with support from other livestock team staff.
· Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Education and Experience:
- Strong interest in sustainable livestock management and working landscapes
- Experience with carpentry, construction, equipment operation, or related trade.
- Ability to operate farm equipment.
- The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including lifting heavy objects, working outside in all variety of weather and conditions, and working around animals.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the strong ability to work with a team of peers.
- A positive attitude, willingness to be flexible and a commitment to achieving the goals of both Moose Hill Farm and Powisset Farm is essential.
· Valid driver’s license required for driving TTOR vehicles; satisfactory driver’s record check and DOT medical card required.
· Satisfactory CORI/SORI background checks required
Reports to Livestock Manager and will works closely with other Trustees farm staff and seasonal employees.
Variable outdoor weather conditions and work with farm animals. Ability to routinely and repeatedly lift and carry up to 50 pounds and occasionally to lift and carry up to 80 lbs is required.
This is a full-time, salaried & benefitted (401k, health insurance, and more) position, with housing potentially available for the right person.
To apply, please email resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.