FARM HAND JOB DESCRIPTION
STATUS: Seasonal, Hourly, Full-Time
LOCATION: Brewster, NY REPORTS TO: Farm Manager
SPACE on Ryder Farm, a non-profit residency program and working organic farm, seeks a Farm Hand to join our growing team. This position will work with our experienced farm team to learn the ins and outs of Certified Organic vegetable growing, equipment operation and farm planning on an eight-acre farm.
- Seeding, watering, potting up and maintaining transplants in the greenhouse.
- Following a seed starting schedule and keeping records.
- Planting, and cultivating crops in the field. Including direct seeding, transplanting, hand weeding and hoeing.
- Maintaining crops in the field, through trellising, mulching and adding nutrients.
- Assist in all aspects of Irrigation
● Mowing and property maintenance, using riding mowers, tractor mounted mowers and string trimmers.
● Responsible for working with tractors and other farm equipment. This position will be trained on safe and proper use of the tractors and implements on the farm. This will include mowing, disking, and forming beds in the field, as well as tractor cultivation.
HARVESTING AND SALES RESPONSIBILITY
● Twice weekly harvesting and washing produce. Maintaining the highest standards of quality and food safety in the post harvest wash and pack. Fulfill orders for CSA and SPACE’s kitchen
● In conjunction with other key staff members, responsible for maintaining Ryder Farm’s roadside farm stand
● Interact with the public as needed
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Has some previous experience working on a farm
- Speaks conversational Spanish
- Is self-motivated to work quickly and efficiently, either alone or in a group, whether the task at hand is time sensitive or monotonous.
- Is able to work with managers to assess daily priorities and carry out individual responsibilities.
- Is positive, enthusiastic, and has the ability to see the big picture while paying close attention to detail.
- Strong communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems
- Very organized and attentive to detail
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position has been filled. To apply please send a resume to email@example.com using the subject line “Farm Hand”
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION AND ORGANIZATION
SPACE on Ryder Farm is a non-profit residency program and organic farm located on the grounds of a 225-year old family homestead in Putnam County, New York, an hour half north of New York City. SPACE’s mission is to create an environment singular in its ability to invigorate artists and innovators and their work, and to contribute to the sustainability and resourceful preservation of one of the oldest organic family farms on the East Coast. SPACE is open to the public and all staff engage with people with various levels of exposure to agriculture on an almost daily basis, including but not limited to: CSA shareholders, artist and activist residents, and members of the public of all ages. The Farm Hand should be comfortable interacting and engaging with the public.
Most days the Farm Hand will be working alongside the Farm Manager and Field Manager but other days will bring more independence with tractor work, greenhouse work and general farm maintenance. Responsibilities will include greenhouse chores, harvesting and washing and all manner of hand work from rock picking to hoeing to maintaining the farm stand.
Applicants must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and the ability to lift at least 50 lbs. Additionally the Farm Hand should have the resiliency to work outside in all conditions (heat, rain, cold snow, etc.)
This full or part time, seasonal position through October 2020, preference is given to those who can commit to a full season and those who have previous farming experience. This position is responsible for their own reliable transportation to and from the farm, and appropriate farm clothes/ rain gear. This is an hourly position, and the rate is commensurate with experience. Housing options may be discussed for non-local candidates.
SPACE’s values are equity, inclusion, support and radical hospitality. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position. SPACE strongly encourages individuals from marginalized and underrepresented groups to apply. SPACE on Ryder Farm is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.