Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an outgoing and energetic Food Rescue Summer AmeriCorps VISTA member with demonstrated initiative and clear organizational communication skills for Hope’s Harvest (our fiscal sponsee). Hope’s Harvest is a gleaning project that mobilizes volunteers to rescue food from local farms that would otherwise go to waste, and distributes it to local hunger relief agencies. This position offers a unique opportunity to refine and implement a system for rescuing fruits and vegetables specifically from farmers markets in Rhode Island for distribution to food insecure individuals and families via hunger relief agencies, and recruiting volunteers to participate in ongoing food rescue activities. This is a 10 week position starting on June 22, 2020 and ending August 28, 2020. The deadline to apply is May 1, 2020.
- Refine and implement a system for rescuing surplus food from summer farmers markets throughout RI and distributing it to food insecure individuals and families via a network of hunger relief agencies.
- Update existing database of farmers markets throughout RI with the potential for food rescue, including vendor information.
- Recruit and train volunteers to assist with ongoing food rescue operations, increasing the capacity of Hope’s Harvest program to expand and increase number of food rescue trips and pounds rescued.
- Maintain volunteer recruitment materials for in-person events, including brochures, displays, and contests/giveaways.
- Outreach and table at farmers markets and other community festivals/events throughout the summer.
- Schedule and conduct volunteer recruitment at local organizations including private companies, faith-based groups, and colleges and universities.
- Conduct followup with new volunteers including welcome communications, training, and orientation as necessary.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Self starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort and facility driving large vehicles (training available)
- Must be able to lift 50 lb
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Willingness to work hands-on in various environments (outdoors at markets, inside at office)
Applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps VISTA site, as described below. Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly. If you have trouble accessing this job posting through the myAmericorps portal, please email email@example.com for assistance.
- Please review the AmeriCorps VISTA information here: www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp.
- Then visit my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click Search Listings. For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options.
- On that page, scroll until you find this position. Click on it, and click “Apply Now.”
- Submit your application including two references.