Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an outgoing and energetic Volunteer, Communications & Development AmeriCorps VISTA with demonstrated initiative and clear organizational communication skills for Hope’s Harvest RI (https://hopesharvest.org). Hope’s Harvest RI is a startup gleaning project that mobilizes volunteers to rescue food from local farms that would otherwise go to waste and distributes it to local hunger relief agencies. This position offers a unique opportunity to increase capacity for volunteer management, communications, and development within the context of the Hope’s Harvest RI’s food rescue program. This position requires a one-year commitment beginning in July, 2020. Application deadline is May 29, 2020.
- Improve Farm Fresh RI’s capacity to fully utilize volunteers within the context of the Hope’s Harvest RI food rescue program by updating and iterating systems for volunteer recruitment, tracking, management, and acknowledgement.
- Implement and refine a comprehensive communications strategy for the Hope’s Harvest RI food rescue program.
- Revise and update templates for ongoing outreach to stakeholder groups to improve volunteer recruitment, fundraising efforts, and community awareness of program activities and impact.
- Increase fundraising capacity for Hope’s Harvest RI food rescue program, specifically around corporate sponsorships and events.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Self starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
About Hope’s Harvest RI
Started in 2018, Hope’s Harvest RI is a fiscally sponsored project of Farm Fresh RI that has, to date, recovered over 115,000 lbs of fresh, local produce for Rhode Islanders in need. We partner closely with farmers and hunger relief agencies to fill logistical gaps in the food system - ensuring food that would otherwise have gone to waste gets distributed to some of the 53,000 individuals per month who rely on the emergency food system.
Mission: To improve the livelihoods of local farmers, increase food security for our most vulnerable residents, and get everyone engaged in strengthening the food system by eliminating on-farm food waste in Rhode Island.
Vision: Hope’s Harvest RI envisions strong and connected communities where farmers are honored, valued, and compensated for their contributions, neighbors get their hands dirty and have fun helping each other, and everyone enjoys an abundance of fresh, healthy food.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits:
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $479.08
- Student loan deferment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit & childcare assistance
- $6,195 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
This is a full-year position starting in July 2020 and ending July 2021. The deadline to apply is 5/29/2020. Applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps VISTA site, as described below. Farm Fresh Rhode Island and Hopes Harvest RI cannot accept applications directly.
- Please review the AmeriCorps VISTA information here: www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp.
- Then visit my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click Search Listings. For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options.
- On that page, scroll until you find this position. Click on it, and click “Apply Now.”
- Submit your application including two references.