Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks a Farmers Market Food Access Summer Associate VISTA with demonstrated initiative and clear organizational communication skills to support utilization of USDA food assistance programs at Farm Fresh RI farmers markets. They will ensure that our Farmers Markets team works with our community partners to extend greater access to healthy, locally grown food throughout the communities that are home to Farm Fresh RI markets. An integral part of Farm Fresh RI, the farmers market program works on the belief that the root cause of hunger is poverty, and therefore increasing local economic opportunities must be a part of hunger relief solutions. This position offers an opportunity to operate Farm Fresh’s Fresh Bucks initiative at local farmers markets, creating more jobs and healthier, more resilient communities. Members must commit to a full time 10 weeks of service, from June 13 to August 19, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through May 9.
- Process credit, debit, and SNAP/EBT customer transactions at farmers markets.
- Record customer transactions at farmers market welcome tables.
- Assist in the assembly of statewide data about SNAP use at farmers markets.
- Work with Farm Fresh staff to support preparation of materials to administer Bonus Bucks for SNAP/EBT shoppers.
- Support data tracking and program performance measurement systems.
- Provide outreach to new farmers market sites and populations, and support organizational communication efforts.
- Manage farmers market volunteers.
- Must have a high school diploma/GED. College degree or working toward one is preferred but not required.
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Must be a US Citizen, U.S. National, or Permanent Resident and be able to provide documentation of citizenship.
- Must be willing to undergo a National Criminal History Background Check.
- Must be willing to work occasional nights and weekends; schedules are determined by program needs and will be worked out with the supervisor.
- Must be able to build relationships with people from varied cultural, economic, educational, racial, and religious backgrounds.
- Must uphold AmeriCorps state and national branding and uniform standards.
- Self-starter and have the ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude.
- Able to collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Able to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal).
- Great attention to detail.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment.
- Willingness to work hands-on in various environments (outdoors at markets, inside at office).
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation — mileage reimbursement will be provided for personal vehicle use.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite preferred.
- Spanish skills or other language skills are a plus.
Farm Fresh has grown briskly since achieving 501c3 status in 2007, to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for local and regional farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh RI hosts a variety of programs to enhance the local food system, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh also operates a range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of eaters with thousands of farmers and food producers across the Northeast region.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of RI farmers and eaters.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
Terms of Service and Hours Requirements
Members must commit to a full-time 10 weeks, approx. 36-38hour/week AmeriCorps service term from June 13 to August 19, 2022.
Members must have the ability to work early evenings or weekends, as needed, for certain farmers market days with advance notice. Member schedules can be flexible with prior approval by supervisors.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly Living Allowance of $514
- $1343 Segal Education Award or $345 cash payment at end of term
- Student loan forbearance
- Mileage Reimbursement
This is a 10-week position starting on June 13 and ending August 19, 2022. The deadline to apply is May 9, 2022
- Please go to: http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp and review AmeriCorps VISTA information on this site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.” For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options. Scroll until you find this position. Click on it and choose “Apply Now.” Submit your application including two references.
- Applications must be submitted through this AmeriCorps VISTA site. Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly. If you have trouble with the site please email [email protected]
- No calls or walk-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an AmeriCorps grantee and receives funds as part of their State and National program, and to operate our VISTA program.