Job opening: NOFA Tri-State Bulk Order Coordinator
View this job description on our website.
To successfully plan and run the annual NOFA Tri-State Bulk Order, serving approximately 300 members with a full array of farm and garden supplies from multiple suppliers delivered to eight or more pick-up sites in MA, CT and RI, with two delivery dates, one in early-mid March for potting soil, fertility, and general supplies, and early-mid April for tubers and alliums. The Bulk Order coordinator reports directly to the NOFA/Mass Education Director, and will work in close collaboration with the NOFA/Mass Administrative Director during the active bulk order period.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare annual Bulk Order budget in collaboration with the Administrative Director and Education Director.
- Enlist the participation of site coordinators; find new sites and site coordinators as needed, with all sites in place by September 30th. In February provide documentation (provided by Administrative Director) of bulk order items to expect in shipment, and documents for breaking deliveries into individual orders (also provided by Administrative Director). Be in touch to answer questions during delivery and pickup weeks in March and April.
- Schedule delivery dates –general delivery in March and the tuber/onion set delivery in April. Confirm dates with site coordinators.
- Secure wholesale pricing from various suppliers with existing relationships with NOFA/Mass; consider new supplier offers as needed.
- Set retail pricing for all items in such a manner that NOFA/Mass’s costs are met appropriately.
- Confirm organic certification of all products in catalogue with Bay State Organic Certifiers.
- Create the annual NOFA Tri-State product catalogue listing all items offered at NOFA member price. Submit finalized catalogue to Administrative Director by December 15, for the website to go live on January 1st.
- Work with NOFA/Mass outreach team and staff from NOFA/RI and CT NOFA to publicize the program.
- Respond to questions and requests for special orders; provide excellent customer service to participants before, during and after the bulk ordering period.
- Receive collated order lists from Administrative Director by February 10th, and coordinate orders with suppliers, site coordinators, and customers for scheduled delivery dates.
- Oversee shipping schedule from suppliers to site coordinators and provide information to site coordinators on the timing of their deliveries. Anticipate daily responsibilities (phone calls and emails, with potential trips to bulk order sites for support during delivery/pickup week) with shipping companies and site coordinators to address/troubleshoot any issues during the delivery and pickup periods.
- Authorize payment of supplier invoices, site coordinator payouts, state chapter payments and other expenses.
- Attendance at major staff meetings and retreats, NOFA summer conference and NOFA/Mass winter conference is mandatory.
- A strong commitment to organic farming
- A strong business management outlook with entrepreneurial focus
- Working knowledge of organic agriculture supplies, inputs and products
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong ability to work independently and with minor supervision
- Must be a member of NOFA/Mass
Salary/Remuneration: This position is rated 300 hours per year; the majority of work is performed October to April, with peak workload December through February, and delivery/pickup weeks in March and April. Salary range is $15-$19/hour based on experience.
By August 30, 2019 (or until a suitable candidate is found) please send resume and three references to Barrett Anderson, Administrative Director, email@example.com. If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617)834-6883.
NOFA/Mass encourages candidates from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds to apply.
NOFA/Mass is an equal opportunity employer who does not discriminate in employment and contracting practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.