Livestock Crew Manager
Pat’s Pastured was founded in 2002 and provides the highest quality pasture-raised and grass-fed meats. Our goal is to provide our livestock with a life that allows them to express their natural instincts fully in a pasture environment. That means that pigs get to root, run and play; chickens get to peck, scratch and crow; turkeys gobble and strut; cows eat grass outside, NOT corn in confinement. 120+ acres of pasture and woodlots spread over several pieces of land in Rhode Island. All land is managed in an intensive rotational management system with multiple species of livestock. The main farm is located in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. All meat and eggs are sold through farmers markets (4 summer, 3 winter in 2019), Meat/Poultry CSA, restaurant sales, our food truck and on-farm sales.
- Pasture-raised pigs
- Pastured, free-range broilers
- Pasture-raised turkeys
- Grass-fed beef steers
- Free-range laying hens
- Free-range laying ducks
- Livestock Guardian Dogs
- Development of a high quality of staff training program – on-job training, special workshops and self guided. Implement a training passport program to gauge staff participation and retention of key training areas.
- Highly trained farm staff will successfully raise and process grass-fed and pasture-raised livestock to satisfy our customers demand of delicious, high quality meat and eggs raised with high animal welfare standards.
- Recordkeeping will accurately assess the quality and effectiveness of the livestock program at Pat’s Pastured.
- Ensure daily chores including watering, feeding and pasture rotation of chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigs, and cattle are performed with efficiency.
- Communicate with livestock manager on overall animal health.
- Develop and implement rotational grazing plan in conjunction with livestock manager.
- Tractor work and basic equipment maintenance
- Assist in managing on-site poultry processing crew.
- General carpentry projects
- Interact with the public through workshops, volunteers, and daily visitation.
- Evaluate team member performance
Skills and Qualifications:
- 2+ years experience in livestock farming
- Experience with training and managing others effectively
- Passion for working with animals
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- An appreciation of the roles speed and efficiency play in creating an economically viable farm – interest in learning and implementing “Lean manufacturing” techniques in a farm environment
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs repeatedly is required
- Ability to operate power tools and mechanical equipment safely
- Willingness to work long hours in all weather conditions
- Tractor experience
- Experience driving livestock trailers a plus
- General carpentry and building skills
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Willingness to work 4 days per week and 1 weekend day
- Dedication, reliability, and a great work ethic
This is a full-time, year round salaried position – position to begin March 2020. Compensation determined by experience, salary range $28-$33,000 per year. Health insurance is not provided. Staff receive generous food allowances & discounts, 2 weeks paid vacation time off, paid sick leave, professional development/training funding. CLICK HERE TO APPLY! Any questions please contact us by email email@example.com To learn more about Pat’s Pastured you can visit our website www.patspastured.com