Markets Program at Farm Fresh
Since 2004, Farm Fresh Rhode Island has been providing affordable markets selling local, fresh foods in low-income neighborhoods. We value increasing healthy food access while at the same time maintaining fair prices to farmers and transparency around local food systems. All markets managed by Farm Fresh RI accept and encourage the use of federal food assistance programs.
Job Function/Purpose of Role
Farm Fresh RI is seeking committed and reliable team-players to join our community access team as a Farmers Market Associate. We are looking for one dedicated team member who will assist in managing the Fresh Bucks table for the full 2022 outdoor season at our Broad Street Farmers Market, which is held in the Lower South Providence area.
Farm Fresh RI staff will train the Market Associate on tasks necessary to be a part of the Summer Market Team. We seek someone who is detail oriented, responsible, passionate about contributing to increasing access to healthy food in Rhode Island, and preferably speaks Spanish. Applicants must commit to fulfilling the entire market season and provide their own transportation of the provided market equipment to and from market sites and the Farm Fresh office. Staff will be reimbursed for mileage.
- Part-time, seasonal position. (7.75 hours a week depending on availability and interest)
- The market runs from early June through October. Some additional hours will be required for training and season debriefs.
- Potential for additional hours to assist with market outreach and events.
- Provide transportation of market equipment from Providence office to market site.
- Set up and break down the market tent and table.
- Assist with vendor setup as needed.
- Enforce market rules and regulations with all vendors and customers, as applicable.
- Run card machine for credit card and EBT customers and distribute Fresh Bucks tokens for transactions.
- Keep record of transactions and balance the market paperwork at end of market.
- Collect Fresh Bucks tokens from vendors at end of market and write receipts.
- Maintain positive equitable relations with all market vendors and customers.
- Work with market volunteers and interns when necessary.
Education, Knowledge, Experience Required
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Multilingual proficiency preferred (Spanish speaking).
- Interest in nutrition, public health, and environmental issues preferred.
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds.
- Must have access to reliable transportation for transporting market equipment to and from program sites across the state.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Starting $15.00- $17/hr
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Please apply online here.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- No calls or walk-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.