Farm Fresh Rhode Island is a nonprofit with a mission to grow a local food system that values the environment, health, and quality of life of New England’s farmers and eaters. Our vision is a region abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table. Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of eaters with local farmers. Since its founding in 2004, Farm Fresh has grown briskly to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for local and regional farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh has implemented a variety of programs to enhance the local food system, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food.
Market Mobile is a local food e-commerce and aggregation platform that connects local farmers and food artisans with buyers like restaurants, grocers, schools, and others as well as residential customers through a simple online order system and distribution service. Market Mobile is a unique model for wholesale and consumer food distribution, designed from the ground up around the needs of farmers and buyers. Every week of the year, small family to mid-sized farms and local food producers list their fresh produce, eggs, dairy, meat, fish, and other value added products for sale to wholesale and home customers for curbside pickup and home delivery in Providence and neighboring towns, and wholesale delivery throughout RI and the Boston-metro area.
The Food Safety Internship is an opportunity for a Food Science major to immerse themselves in learning and assisting in the process of our distribution program to ensure compliance with GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) and Food Defense standards. You will be responsible for assisting and directly working with the Market Mobile Quality Assurance & Compliance Manager in improving our food safety efforts, implementing good and safe practices to provide the highest quality for our customers. This is an 8-12 hours/week unpaid internship.
- Develop work habits, communication skills, interpersonal and other critical skills.
- Gain knowledge in all things related to food safety, quality assurance/control, and the nonprofit sector.
- Help prepare and participate in a USDA Good Manufacturing Audit.
- Network and build relationships from contacts with the state of Rhode Island, USDA, other food hubs, institutions, and more.
- Assist in implementing new food safety guidelines within Market Mobile.
- Assess current food safety documentation such as SOPs, HACCPs, Food Defense Plan, policies, and other records.
- Assist with Market Mobile packline traceability efforts.
- Assist with administrative duties such as delivery paperwork, packline support, or other administrative duties assigned by the QA & Compliance Manager.
- Assist Quality Assurance Manager and Program Director in preparation for our GMP audit.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Strengthen relationships with current farmers and producers as well as potential new ones.
- Associated degree or in-process of completing Bachelors in Food Science, Food Safety, or other related field
- Eager and willing to learn while maintaining a positive attitude to support the overall business
- Passion for local food systems/food access and food safety
- Exceptional attention to detail with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Proficient with Google applications
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Complete other duties as assigned related to essential duties and responsibilities
Physical Demands (Physical, Mental & Environmental)
The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit/stand for long periods of time at a desk; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls on computers; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear in meetings and on the telephone or on the computer in an office or variable setting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Intern must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Availability and Hours
- Flexible hours: 8-12 hours per week depending on applicant’s interest
- Flexible start and end dates
- Shifts available 5 days a week
- Additional availability on Tuesday mornings is preferred but not required
- Please send your resume Attn: Natasha Argenio, QA & Compliance Manager to [email protected] with subject line “Food Safety Internship”
- Applications will be taken on a rolling basis until filled. Candidates who apply by September 30, 2022 will be prioritized.
This listing is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. It is not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so classified.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.