Market Mobile Packhouse Associates help fulfill Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s nonprofit mission of growing the local food system by ensuring all products sold by local farmers and producers are safely and accurately received and packaged to be delivered to restaurants, institutions, and home delivery customers across Rhode Island. In doing so, we are strengthening local farm viability by building a reliable sales outlet for Rhode Island grown and produced goods.
A high degree of accountability is required in order to provide excellent outcomes to our farmers, food producers, customers, and community partners. Our Packhouse Associates facilitate the flow of products within our local food warehouse. This position works closely with other Packhouse Associates, Driver Assistants, Drivers, and other Market Mobile staff in a team environment to achieve program goals.
Market Mobile Packhouse Associates support Market Mobile operations through the successful implementation of established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and compliance with regulatory guidelines. Daily tasks include ensuring products are accurately received, picking product orders, upholding cleaning and sanitation standards, and completion of prescribed paperwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive product into the warehouse from farmers and producers in accordance with receiving procedures.
- Pack customer orders accurately and efficiently.
- Proactively communicate issues and challenges with Market Mobile managers.
- Support Market Mobile safe food handling practices.
- Clean Market Mobile packing facilities weekly.
- Maintain positive relations with Market Market vendors and customers.
- Work with Market Mobile volunteers and interns as necessary.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma preferred.
- Warehouse experience preferred.
- Food handling experience is strongly preferred.
- Picking and packing orders experience preferred.
- Experience operating manual and electric pallet jacks is a plus (training is provided).
- Customer service or similar experience is preferred.
- Good humor, an ability to think on your feet, and an easy but focused work style.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- Must be reliable, committed, and efficient at completing job requirements.
- Must be effective in communicating with other program staff and external organization stakeholders.
- Must have the ability and desire to relate to and work with various socio-economic and cultural groups and create a positive and safe work environment by making other coworkers and volunteers feel welcome in our space.
- Must be a team player and have a willingness to collaborate.
- Must have high attention to detail (produce quality and record-keeping).
- Must be able to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the success of coworkers and Farm Fresh RI’s mission and values.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND ENVIRONMENTAL)
The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit/stand for long periods of time at a desk; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls on computers; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear in meetings and on the telephone or on the computer in an office or variable setting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift 60+ pounds in various conditions. This position is physically demanding and requires an aptitude for manual labor.
COMPENSATION & HOURS
- Part-time position: 25-30 hours a week. Hours change due to the seasonal nature of our programs. More hours in the summer.
- Employees can work all hours or a portion of hours available. Hours available:
- Tuesdays, 6am-12noon
- Wednesday 8am-4pm, 9am-5pm, 10am-6pm
- Thursdays 5am-1pm
- Fridays 9am-2pm
- Rate of pay starts at $16 per hour.
- Sick and Safe leave time accrued according to hours worked starting Day 1.
- Shifts will be Monday through Friday.
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill out our online application linked here.
- No phone calls or drop ins please.
- Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Since 2004 Farm Fresh RI has grown briskly to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for RI farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven Farm Fresh RI has implemented a variety of programs to enhance the local food system of the Rhode Island region, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of RI, MA and CT eaters with thousands of RI, MA and CT farmers.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of RI farmers and eaters.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s work environment is fast-paced and collaborative. We value creative thinking, approach our work with energetic spirit and strive to have fun together while we’re at it!
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.