Myriad of Farm Opportunities in Central MA

I run Potter Hill Farm in Grafton, MA (central MA, an hour west of Boston). In the past, we’ve had a herd of beef cattle, pastured pigs, and pastured egg layers on the farm in addition to the main focus of organic vegetables. I took a step back from farming in 2021 to recover from the demands of running a farm full-time and being a father to two little ones with a wife who works full-time+ off farm. I returned on a small scale (just ~40 person veg CSA equivalent, no animals) in 2022 with a much better work-life balance. The season went well, the only thing missing was a partner in crime/consistent help!

I am looking for any of the following (part-time positions have been filled):

-business partner with farming experience interested in focusing on an enterprise (beef, chickens, pigs, insert your passion that makes money)
-full-time experienced help, ideally aspiring to more responsibility
-some sort of combination of partner/employee where an enterprise can be entrepreneurially managed, with the financial safety net of working on the veggie operation (farming experience required)
-part-time help (filled)

Basically, I am flexible to scale up with help (ideal) or stay small without help. I lease 35 acres of pasture, none of which was used in 2022 (other than an acre by flower farming friends). Additionally, we recently purchased 6 adjacent acres, where we live, the garden is located, and where vegetable/fruit operations will be focused going forward. I own most, if not all, the equipment needed to restart animal operations on the farm.

About me: I am passionate about and motivated by great food and feeding others. I am flexible, easy going, and interested in communal/cooperative living/farming. When I took over the farm 7 years ago from a friend who I worked for, I always thought a partner would come along, never expecting to run the farm on my own. There is currently no on-farm housing available, though I would happily help to find close reasonable housing. Grafton is also home to Tufts Veterinary School, so apartments and apartment sharing opportunities abound.

I recently ceded a few acres of cropland to friends who started a flower farm in 2021, and who will be entering their third season this year. The possibility of sharing employment between farms is another option.

The setting is pretty incredible with 360 views, including Worcester prominently framed by Mt Wachusett. Soils are rich and on the wet side. Pasture was most recently used in 2021, but mostly mowed in 2022 - some fields are weedy, but it has bounced back quickly in the past after years out of use. Please reach out to [email protected] with interest.

Thanks for reading!
Paul Grady