Farm Fresh Rhode Island is a 501c3 non-profit organization founded in 2004 and based in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Our mission is to grow a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of RI farmers and eaters.
Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of RI, MA and CT eaters with thousands of RI, MA and CT farmers. The goals of our programs are to increase farm viability and increase access to fresh food.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is strongly committed to providing information on local farms, agriculture, and nutrition to a broad range of community members across the state — in schools and libraries, preschools, and senior centers and housing. Our programs are hands-on, interactive, and work to provide participants with the information needed to make smart choices about food while strengthening the local economy and contributing to vibrant communities. Programs also seek to share cultural traditions around food and celebrate the diverse culinary heritage of Rhode Island.
The Nutrition Education interns will assist the program in two different capacities:
-At programs: Interns will work alongside Nutrition Education staff as a healthy food ambassador at various program sites.
-In the office: Interns will assist with outreach and recruitment efforts, data entry, curriculum development, as well as program operations.
- Direct programming
- This could mean leading an activity and cooking demonstration at one of the senior centers we work with, leading a gardening program, going into pre-schools to do an activity, etc.
- Curriculum research and development
- Contribute to social media and communications
- Review lesson plans
- Create nutrition resource overview for volunteers/those without nutrition background (if they have the experience)
- Outreach to new audiences
- Table at our Winter market
- Prepare food samples for programs
- Assist with data entry and tracking
- Good customer service skills and willing to engage with adults and children
- Interest in food access and community health
- Problem-solver and innovative thinker
- Flexible and able to adapt to changes
- Willingness to work hands-on in various environments
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Conversational Spanish skills
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Access to reliable transportation
- Basic culinary skills
To apply, or with any questions, please contact email@example.com. Please write “Nutrition Education Internship” in the subject line and attach a resume and a letter of interest.