Farm Fresh RI is seeking a Farm to Community AmeriCorps member to work with our Community Education and Farm to School Team to implement local food system and nutrition program activities across RI. They will design and implement local food and nutrition education activities alongside staff and volunteers. They will ensure our education department works with community partners to extend greater access to healthy, locally grown food across populations from pre-k to seniors. This includes supporting cooking classes, taste tests, farmers market programming, garden programs, in-school and after school education program series among other exciting opportunities to bring local food and agriculture knowledge and access to the community. Being an enthusiastic healthy food advocate is a must, and an understanding of growing and garden practices is preferred but not required.This is a part-time position requiring a six-month commitment. The position starts February 14, 2022. The deadline to apply is January 24, 2022.
- Refine existing curriculum as needed, and develop new programming based on community and organizational needs.
- Implement local food programming at various community sites including schools, after school, farmers markets, camps, and senior centers.
- Establish meaningful relationships with partners and stakeholders including farmers, school professionals, community site leaders, students, and families.
- Support data tracking and program performance measurement systems.
- Support outreach to new sites and populations, and provide communications support.
- Must commit to a full AmeriCorps service term: 28 weeks of service, approx. 34 hrs. per week.
- Must have high school diploma/GED; college degree or working toward one preferred but not required.
- Must be willing to work very occasional early evening and weekend hours. Schedules are determined by program needs and will be worked out with supervisor.
- Must be able to build relationships with people from varied cultural, economic, educational, racial, and religious backgrounds.
- Must be able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds.
- Be a US Citizen, U.S. National, or Permanent Resident and be able to provide documentation of citizenship.
- Be willing to undergo a National Criminal History Background Check.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal).
- Great attention to detail.
- Self starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude.
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation.
- Spanish skills or other language skills preferred.
- Experience with youth/youth development preferred.
- Experience in group facilitation, classroom and/or training is preferred.
About Farm Fresh RI
Begun in 2004 as a student thesis project at Brown University, Farm Fresh has grown briskly to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for RI farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh achieved 501c3 status in 2007, and has since implemented a variety of programs to enhance the local food system of the Rhode Island region, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh operates a wide range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of eaters with thousands New England farmers.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health and quality of life of farmers and eaters.
Vision: A New England abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, and fighting poverty. Members commit to a fixed term of service and receive a living allowance and end of service education award.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- $9,375 Living Stipend, divided and paid weekly (est. $335)
- $3097.50 Segal Education Award (upon completion of 900 hours of service)
- Student Loan Forbearance
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Professional Development opportunities
Members must commit to a full AmeriCorps service term: 28 weeks of service, approximately 34 hours per week. This position starts February 14, 2022. The deadline to apply is January 24, 2022.
- To apply, complete this online form .
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an AmeriCorps grantee and receives funds as part of their State and National program, and to operate our VISTA program.