Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an outgoing and energetic Education Innovations AmeriCorps VISTA with demonstrated initiative and clear organizational and communication skills to increase Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s Community Education program capacity. The Education Innovation (EI) AmeriCorps VISTA member will enhance and expand the educational opportunities that Farm Fresh RI provides to school and university communities. This position will create a standardized student internship track that will support the development of young emerging leaders in the food system. Additionally, this member will craft Farm to School (F2S) and Community Education (CE) program activities with external partners that leverage the recruited interns to strengthen the long-term impact of our initiatives across Rhode Island. This will allow Farm Fresh to simultaneously maximize internal organizational capacity to manage volunteers and interns, and maximize alignment and sustainability of our programming. This position requires a one-year commitment to begin July 5, 2022. Application deadline is May 30, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Conduct a needs assessment and asset map of Farm Fresh, college, and high school internship opportunities relating to food systems and health fields of study.
- Partner with schools and community sites to identify community needs and brainstorm activities and programs.
- Enhance and expand current knowledge of best practices and models for capacity building for F2S.
- Develop new activities and programs identified for internship, including afterschool and summer programs.
- Create internship model proposal including activities, budget, and timelines and implement and pilot programming where applicable.
- Assist CE staff with program implementation for youth, families, and seniors.
- Participate in program performance measurement process and evaluation of internship.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Project planning skills
- Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Spanish or other language skills a plus
- Nutrition/Health/General education experience preferred
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Reliable access to a car required
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $575.40
- $400 monthly rent stipend
- Monthly bus pass
- Student loan deferment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit and childcare assistance
- $6,345 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
Members must be able to commit to a full year of service, from July 5, 2022, to July 4, 2023. Deadline to apply is May 30, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Please go to: https://americorps.gov/serve/fit-finder/americorps-vista and review the AmeriCorps VISTA information on that site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.” For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options. Scroll until you find this position. Click on it and choose “Apply Now.” Submit your application including two references.
- Applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps VISTA site. Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly.
- No calls or walk-ins please.
Farm Fresh RI Foundational & Organizational OutcomesAs an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an AmeriCorps grantee and receives funds as part of their State and National program, and to operate our VISTA program.