Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking a Market Mobile Operations Manager who will work with a team of staff to oversee our local food warehouse and deliveries.
Market Mobile is Farm Fresh RI’s transparent local food distribution system that connects farmers and food producers in the New England region with residential customers and wholesale buyers like chefs, grocers, schools, hospitals, and farm stands. Market Mobile combines an e-commerce platform with a fleet of customer service, warehouse, and delivery staff to help farmers focus on farming while also increasing sales of locally produced value-added foods.
This position is responsible for overseeing the wellbeing of Farm Fresh RI’s fleet of vehicles, managing drivers and staff out on the road, and ensuring that the trucks and warehouse facility are kept in compliance with workplace safety standards, and other program standard operating procedures.
As a supervisor, this position is responsible for setting a good example for other staff, upholding Farm Fresh’s management standards, and working with all team members to ensure they receive the proper training and direction for our team to meet its goals. As a key team member on the Market Mobile Management Team this position will also fill in as needed in times when the team is short-staffed and will work directly and in a hands-on capacity to ensure tasks are completed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Fleet Management & Routing
- Trucks are maintained weekly in-house so they are kept safe and reliable, and are taken for regularly scheduled maintenance as needed.
- Trucking needs are coordinated weekly and seasonally with external trucking vendors, and truck mileage is tracked.
- Trucks are maintained in compliance with all USDOT regulations.
- Ensure all driver records are up-to-date with DOT, DMV, and insurance.
- Utilize routing technologies to plan weekly delivery routes.
- Ensure deliveries are made in a professional manner and that drivers provide great customer service.
- Work with Market Mobile Program Director and other Market Mobile managers to recruit new drivers as needed.
- Work with Operations Manager to build weekly driver schedules.
- In partnership with Market Mobile Program Directors, develop and implement trainings for drivers to uphold Market Mobile Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), policies, and best practices.
- Lead regular driver meetings as needed, and serve as the point person for driver management.
- Hold drivers accountable for filling out required paperwork fully each day including Pre-Trip checklist, Driver Sheets, Reefer Logs, and others as they are developed.
- Maintain all Farm Fresh equipment in good working condition and ensure equipment is returned by drivers at the end of each delivery.
- Responsible for making sure incidents and accidents are properly and promptly reported to the authorities, Market Mobile Director, and Director of Business & Administration.
- Adapts and communicates driver schedules according to changing program sales goals or special projects throughout the week.
Packline and Warehouse Support
- Ensure all Farm Fresh warehouse facilities are clean and sanitized regularly in accordance with program SOPs.
- Complete weekly packhouse supply inventory audits and coordinate resupply with Market Mobile management team.
- Personally support pre-pack, packline, and receiving efforts.
- Hold employees accountable for completing daily tasks by the end of their shifts. Communicate any incomplete tasks to other Market Mobile Program Managers and Director
- Ensure packhouse staff uphold meal break, attendance and punctuality, dress code, and other policies as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Needed to Perform this Role
Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
Passion for local food systems and social justice
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
Ability to juggle and track multiple tasks and responsibilities
Demonstrated commitment to the success of co-workers and Farm Fresh RI’s mission and values
Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
Must hold valid driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation
Maintain valid DOT card
Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule
Ability to build relationships with people from varied cultural, economic, educational, racial, and religious backgrounds
Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
Basic vehicle maintenance knowledge (change tire, top-off fluids).
Physical Demands (Physical, Mental & Environmental)
The following capabilities are required in order to perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations that do not create an undue burden on the company are available to address the following requirements.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit/stand for long periods of time at a desk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls on computers; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear in meetings and on the telephone or on the computer in an office or variable setting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Employees must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional ability to travel, which may include travel via car or train.
Pay & Benefits
- 15 days paid time off (PTO) and 14 paid company holidays
- Monthly contributions to flexible health, dental, and life insurance plans
- IRA matching contribution after two years of employment
- Please send your resume and cover letter Attn: Thea Upham to [email protected] with subject line “MM Operations Manager”
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis for a start in July or August 2022. Interviews will start July 27, 2022.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh RI has grown briskly since achieving 501c3 status in 2007, to capture the public interest in locally grown food and translate it into sales for local and regional farmers and producers. Strongly mission-driven, Farm Fresh RI hosts a variety of programs to enhance the local food system, with particular attention to farm viability and low-income access to fresh food. Farm Fresh also operates a range of marketplace programs (retail, wholesale, processing) that engage and connect tens of thousands of eaters with thousands of farmers and food producers across the Northeast region.
Mission: Farm Fresh Rhode Island is growing a local food system that values the environment, health, and quality of life of farmers and eaters in our region.
Vision: A Northeast region abundant with diverse family farms and fertile soils, with locally and honestly produced foods and flavors at the heart of every dinner table.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s work environment is fast-paced and collaborative. We value creative thinking, approach our work with energetic spirit, and strive to have fun together while we’re at it!
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.