JOB POSTING: GARDEN EDUCATOR
Applications Received On Rolling Basis Until November 30th, 2020
Mill Road Elementary School, in Red Hook NY 12571, is seeking a high energy, hard worker with a love of children and nature to fill a unique opportunity in outdoor education. The position is for an elementary school Garden Educator, who is responsible for teaching grades Pre-K-5 cross curricular lessons.
Mill Road Elementary School in Red Hook has a ¾ acre garden on school grounds that is used as an outdoor classroom for hands-on learning. The Garden Educator teaches lessons that include environmental stewardship, sustainability and nutrition in addition to Math, Science, ELA and the Arts. Winter classes are held indoors.
The ideal candidate has experience in outdoor education, but a creative teacher or thoughtful gardener will be considered. This position begins February, 2020. Hours are Monday-Friday 8:30-3:30, September through June, with the potential for working 1-2 days per week in July and August. Salary is $75-$90 per day depending on qualifications. Candidate must receive Board of Education clearance as a substitute teacher.
· Teach existing garden curriculum, and work creatively and independently to adapt lessons to specific classes and situations
· Collaborate with part-time gardener to plan and maintain school garden
· Maintain regular communication with teachers and documentation of program with teachers, garden committee and administrators
· Recruit, train and communicate with parent volunteers to maintain garden over the summer months
· Communicate with school community via e-newsletters and social media
· Maintain cafeteria compost program when COVID restrictions are lifted
· Teach live lessons via zoom and prepare recorded lessons when necessary
Interested Candidates should send the following application materials:
-Letter of Introduction
-Contact info for 3 professional/academic references
Please send applications to [email protected] by November 30th, 2020. Candidates are being reviewed on a rolling basis.