Position: SNAP Access Operations Assistant
Organization History: Coastal Foodshed (CFS) is a non-profit farmer food hub based in New Bedford, MA. Our mission is to strengthen the local food economy by making it easier for growers to sell, and consumers to buy healthy, affordable, local foods, with a focus on making locally grown and made food more equitably accessible to marginalized and/or food insecure households in New Bedford. We sell and distribute local food to community members, restaurants, farmers, schools, and food pantries through both retail and wholesale channels. Coastal Foodshed is a growing organization and currently going through a transition phase to expand food hub operations including building out a new space at the Kilburn Mill.
SNAP Focus: All of our markets accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Healthy Incentive Program (HIP), in addition to other nutrition incentive programs. We work hard to make local food accessible for everyone regardless of income. We simply want to make local food easier to buy and believe everyone should have equal access to it.
Position Overview: CFS is seeking a full-time SNAP Operations Assistant. This position works both in the warehouse and on site at the markets with a focus on CFS’ SNAP Access Programs. The applicant must be able to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously, have exceptional organizational skills, systems thinking, problem-solving and record-keeping skills. An ideal candidate will be highly energetic, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and passionate about community connections and local food systems, particularly food security mission driven work with a focus on local agriculture. This is a hands-on position with the expectation that this individual will be flexible and able to jump in where needed to optimize operations and support other team members. The Operations Assistant is supervised by the SNAP Access Program Manager.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
Food Hub Warehouse
- Assists with warehouse operations including aggregation, sorting, staging, and packing products
- Assists with weekly/monthly inventory and receiving, ensuring that all inventory is received accurately, accounted for, and stored safely to preserve product quality
- Conduct regular inspections of products to ensure compliance with quality standards and freshness criteria
- Assist with organization of both cold and dry storage facilities, appropriate product storage, and adherence to FIFO method to minimize waste and maintain the highest standards of product quality
- Manage the CFS market info booth and represent CFS at the New Bedford Farmers Market
- Process SNAP/HIP and credit card transactions on behalf of market vendors
- Educate SNAP/HIP customers on how to shop using their benefits, and provide general market education to consumers and vendors
- Assist with event coordination for music and cooking demos
- Enforce market rules and codes of conducts
- Collect data/feedback from customers/vendors
- Drive the CFS farm stand trailer to farm stand sites and set up product/marketing display
- Sell and deliver products on behalf of farmers at Mobile Farm Stand sites and HIP locations
- Support community outreach, education, and digital media content for the markets as needed including SNAP/HIP education efforts
Physical Demands - Required:
- Ability to lift to up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work in variant weather/temperature conditions
- This position entails some use of a desktop or laptop computer, sitting or standing at a desk workstation
- Be outgoing and able to build relationships with people from varied cultural, economic, educational, racial, and religious backgrounds
- Enthusiastic ability to work in a dynamic environment. Comfortable with change and growth and the ability to jump in where needed to optimize operations
- Cheerful, professional presence. A sense of humor and a positive, can-do attitude
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Be able to work effectively on a team
- Have excellent problem-solving skills
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Seasonal Saturday availability
- Knowledge of basic food safety regulations
- General knowledge of vegetables, fruits, or other locally produced items
- Passion for Coastal Foodshed’s mission and food systems work
- Farming, foodservice, and customer service experience
- Experience driving a refrigerated van and/or truck with a “landscape” trailer attached or be willing to learn; we will train you in a comfortable environment.
Hours & Benefits:
Coastal Foodshed’s operations change with the local growing seasons. We separate our operations into the Outdoor (June-October) and the Indoor Season (Nov-May). Schedules and shifts change based on these months. Tentative schedule is below:
- Tuesday: 11-7pm Food Hub Warehouse
- Wednesdays: 8-5pm Food Hub Warehouse
- Thursdays: 10-5pm Food Hub Warehouse
- Fridays 9-4pm Food Hub Warehouse
- Saturdays 8:00-4pm Farmers Market
- Monday: 10-6pm Food Hub Warehouse & Mobile Farm Stand
- Tuesday: TBD SNAP Distribution
- Wednesday: TBD SNAP Distribution
- Thursdays: 11-7pm Farmers Market
- Friday: 10-6pm Food Hub Warehouse & Mobile Farm Stand
This is a full-time, non-exempt, hourly position with a rate of $20 per hour. Seasonal weekend work is required. Benefits include SIMPLE IRA retirement plan after 1-year, health insurance stipend, paid time off, 11 paid holidays, 1-week holiday break in December, professional development, local food stipend, employee discounts, and access to some of the best local food around!
How to Apply:
Please send a resume to [email protected] with subject line: “SNAP Access Operations Assistant” in the subject line. The position is open until a suitable candidate is identified; an ideal start date would be no later than March 4, 2024.
Coastal Foodshed vales a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.