Sources for Compost/Seed Starting Mix

Hello all!

I am in the process of starting a small market garden in Foster, RI. I’m wondering if people have any recommendations on where I can source compost and seed starting mix.

Thanks!

Lucía

1 Like

RI Resource Recovery for bulk compost
ASAP Mulch for smaller loads ~5 yards
Progressive Grower Agricultural Supply in Wareham MA for seed starting mix in bags- you can ask them for a catalog. They have lots of other stuff as well.

I run a large kitchen in the Massachusetts South Shore.
If you’re looking for compostable materials I would be able to give them to you.

Northeast Organic Farming Association has a free advising program for beginning farmers. You can apply at www.nofari.org. Also I know someone in Foster with animals that has manure, either fresh or composted that you can get. Email me at [email protected] and I can give you more info. Nofa also has an annual bulk order for supplies but it is too late to order for this year. I make my own potting mix with half compost and half peat or coir, then add 1 cup of organic fertilizer to two gallons of mix. Moisten and let it cure for 2 or 3 weeks before using.

1 Like

Thanks Nayeema - I will check these out!

Right now I’m just looking to buy in finished compost, but in the future I might take you up on the offer!

Thanks for the reply! I’ll check out the NOFA advising program, and I’'ll email you about the manure in Foster.

You are welcome. I have a small market garden. I’m happy to help you with advice if you need. My email is [email protected]. Good luck.

1 Like