Are you looking for a way to create additional fertility right on your farm? Have limited space to compost? Have manure or other organics available? Why not try vermicomposting on your own farm?
Magic Tree Vermicast now provides on farm vermicompost setup, maintenance, and consulting. I can provide you with small to medium scale vermicompost systems to meet your needs.
Worm castings can provide the following benefits:
- Improves soil structure and porosity
- Increases moisture infiltration and permeability and reduces bulk density of heavy soils–improving moisture infiltration rates and reducing erosion and runoff
- Improves the moisture-holding capacity of light soils–reducing water loss and nutrient leaching and improving moisture retention
- Improves the carbon exchange capacity (CEC) of soils
- Supplies organic matter
- Aids in proliferation of soil microorganisms
- Supplies beneficial microorganisms to soils and growing media
- Encourages vigorous root growth
- Allows plants to more efficiently utilize nutrients
- Enables soils to retain nutrients longer
- Contains humus–assisting in soil aggregation and making nutrients more available for plant uptake
- Buffers soil pH