Sweet & Salty Farm –
Saturday Farmer’s Market Position
We are looking for someone to sell our grass-fed cheese and yogurt with us at farmer’s markets in Rhode Island on Saturday mornings. If you are a friendly, outgoing person with a love for good food and sustainable farming practices, this could be a great job for you!
We are Sweet & Salty Farm, a small grazing dairy farm in Little Compton, Rhode Island. We make a variety of artisan cheeses and yogurt. This is our eighth year in operation. We manage our land and animals with care and respect, without the use of GMO’s, pesticides, antibiotics, or other chemicals.
- Selling our products at farmer’s markets in Providence on Saturday mornings
- Drive our van from Little Compton, RI to farmer’s market in Providence and back
- Set up market tent, tables and signage
- Educate customers about the quality of the products, including our grazing practices and humane farm practices.
- Pack up market supplies and unload them at the farm at the end of the day
Who we are looking for:
- A friendly and positive attitude is a must!
- You will need to be able to answer questions, cut samples, make recommendations, wrap cheese, keep your workspace clean, make change and make jokes throughout the market.
- This position requires energy, stamina and a genuine smile. Farmer’s markets go on in all kinds of weather and you will be on your feet nearly the whole time. The outdoor market season runs May-October in Lippitt Park and then we move indoors on the west side of Providence to the Farm Fresh Winter market (with lots of ventilation) from November through April.
- If you are interested, this is a great foot in the door at the farm if you would like to do more eventually on the farm or in the creamery
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record are a must, experience driving a full sized van is helpful but not necessary
- You must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Experience with professional and sanitary food preparation is a plus, as this position involves sampling and food handling.
- No experience farming or cheesemaking is required, although a passion for food and sustainable agriculture is important.
Timing and Schedule: This position will start immediately. The position is for Saturday mornings, with a start time at 7 am and finish around 3 pm at the latest.
Starting salary: $20/hour
To apply, submit a brief letter of interest to: [email protected]. A resume is not required, but feel free to send one if it is convenient.