We are looking for someone to sell our grass-fed cheese and yogurt with us at farmer’s markets in Providence, RI on Saturday mornings. If you are a friendly, outgoing person with a love for good food, this could be a great job for you!
We are Sweet & Salty Farm, a small grazing dairy farm in Little Compton, Rhode Island. We make a variety of artisan cheeses and yogurt. This is our ninth year in operation. We manage our land and animals with care and respect, without the use of GMO’s, pesticides, antibiotics, or other chemicals.
- Selling our products at farmer’s markets in Providence on Saturday mornings
- Set up market tent, tables and signage
- Educate customers about the quality of the products, including our grazing practices and humane farm practices. (We will teach you!)
- Cut and wrap cheeses to order for customers at the market.
- Pack up market supplies and assist in loading our van at the end of the market.
- (You will be working with a second market person who will drive the market van back and forth to our farm in Little Compton before and after the market.)
Who we are looking for:
- A friendly and positive attitude is a must!
- You will need to be able to answer questions, make recommendations, wrap cheese, keep your workspace clean, make change and make jokes throughout the market.
- This position requires energy, stamina and a genuine smile. Farmer’s markets go on in all kinds of weather and you will be on your feet nearly the whole time.
- If you are interested, this is a great foot in the door at the farm if you would like to do more eventually on the farm or in the creamery.
Location: We attend the Farm Fresh Market on the West side of Providence, indoors from Nov-April and then we move outdoors to the Hope Street Farmers Market in Lippitt Park on the East side of Providence for May-October.
- Valid driver’s license
- You must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Experience with professional and sanitary food preparation is a plus, as this position involves food handling.
- No experience farming or cheesemaking is required, although a passion for food and sustainable agriculture is important.
Timing and Schedule: This position will start immediately. The position is for Saturday mornings, with a start time at 8 am and finish around 1:30-2 pm.
Starting salary: $20/hour plus cheese and yogurt
To apply, submit a brief letter of interest to: [email protected]. A resume is not required, but feel free to send one or mention any relevant experience.