Tide to Land Education Apprentice
Full-Time, Hourly, Temporary
May 2024 - November 2024
(Flexible start & end date)
Ocean Hour Farm,
152 Harrison Ave
Newport, Rhode Island
The mission of Ocean Hour Farm is to serve as a center for education, scientific research, and demonstration of regenerative agricultural practices. The 43 acre property lies just across the street from the Narragansett Bay, making it an ideal location for highlighting the critical connection between land management and ocean health. The vision of the farm is to provide a living example of regenerative agriculture and land stewardship – an integrated system where plants, animals, and people heal ecosystems while producing food and fiber for the community.
This 6-month, Tide to Land Education Apprenticeship is for budding professionals that are serious about building their skill set for a career in environmental education and are passionate about regenerative agriculture, whole systems design, soil science and watershed health.
The Tide to Land Education Apprenticeship starts off with a rotation through each department on the farm including livestock, crop production, ecosystems management, poultry, landscape and facilities, to emphasize their intersection with education. The Apprentice will then work alongside the Education Program Manager to design, implement and evaluate experiential education programs for youth and adults. Topics of instruction range from the soil food web to agroforestry techniques. A culminating design project will allow the Apprentice to practice project management and critical thinking, two skills that are essential for success in today’s workforce.
The Tide to Land Education Apprentice reports directly to the Education Program Manager and will work on the following projects:
- Assist with curriculum development and logistical planning for visiting summer camp programs.
- Co-teach summer programming in July and August for youth ranging from 1st to 10th grade.
- Collaborate with other farm staff to create and schedule hands-on education activities including in our biointensive garden, food forest, fiber program, environmental monitoring and beyond!
- Assist in the preparation for fall youth and farmer/land steward education programming.
- Occasionally join the Education Program Manager on partnership development meetings, on and off-site.
- Provide and/or assist with tours of the farm as needed.
- Maintain the organization of educational documents and materials.
- Develop and implement a culminating design project inspired by the needs of the education department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills & Capacities
- Able to commit to the full term of the apprenticeship.
- Have at least one year of work experience in the field of environmental science, education, community engagement and/or sustainable agriculture.
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups of youth and/or adults.
- Has an educational background that includes studies in the field of environmental science.
- Work well with others and communicate clearly.
- Be a positive spokesperson and representative of Ocean Hour Farm in the local community and beyond.
- Progressive thinker and open-minded, especially to learning new things.
- Related work experience, successful completion of background check, ability to legally work in the USA and valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Ability to lift 55 pounds on a regular basis; work outside for long periods of time in unfavorable conditions; perform strenuous manual labor requiring considerable walking, lifting, reaching, climbing, stooping, pushing, pulling and carrying.
- Familiarity and comfort using Google Suite and other platforms like Canva, Miro, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, to establish and maintain effective relationships with coworkers, visitors, and others in the workplace.
- Comfortable working with and around mixed livestock.
- Able to work outdoors in hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy weather conditions.
Work Schedule & Benefits
- This is a full-time, temporary position and does not include health insurance.
- The hourly pay rate is $25 - $28 per hour.
- Working hours are traditionally between 9 and 5pm Monday through Friday, however there will be occasional education programs on weekday evenings and weekends to attend.
- Fresh produce, eggs and meat from the farm.
- Networking opportunities across our network of organizations.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Ocean Hour Farm is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create an atmosphere where diversity of identity, experience, and background are welcomed, valued and supported. Ocean Hour Farm believes that diversity brings about greater sustainability on all levels and aims to use its resources to generate greater social and environmental diversity through its grant-making and other related investments. Ocean Hour Farm is committed to considering candidates for employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability and any other status protected under applicable law, and provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Employees must adhere to all applicable organizational policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to travel and work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands. Background check will be conducted for the final candidate.
APPLY here: Hillspire - Tide to Land Education Apprentice