Allegheny Mountain Institute’s 18-month Farm and Food System Fellowship is a tuition-free educational program that fully sponsors, trains, and empowers individuals to become teachers and advocates for a food system that is socially, environmentally, and economically just. Selected Fellows spend six months in experiential, residential Farm and Food Study at AMI’s Allegheny Farm Campus, followed by a Community Action Year, applying their training in partnership with regional non-profit organizations.
Farm and Food Study: May 16 - October 26, 2022
- Learn, live, and study with a cohort of passionate individuals dedicated to revitalizing the food system on a remote mountain farm in Highland County, VA.
- Gain hands-on experience in fruit and vegetable production, poultry care, rotational grazing, mushroom cultivation, beekeeping, agroforestry, ecological farm design, food preservation, whole food cooking, and multiple aspects of the food system.
- Explore critical food system issues and deepen farming skills through educational sessions and a diverse range of weekly workshops or field trips.
- Receive a $1,400 stipend. $1,000 is paid upon successful competition and commitment to the Community Action Year contract and $400 is paid with the first Community Action Year paycheck. Additional benefits include housing at the Allegheny Farm Campus and farm produce supplemented with whole food staples, plus personal leave, wellness leave, and holidays. Scholarship funds are available to help offset additional living expenses.
Community Action Year: January 9 - December 15, 2023
- Put training into action through a year of immersive farm and food work with AMI and community partner organizations in Highland, Augusta, and Rockingham Counties, Virginia.
- Build knowledge and skills in farming, food systems, and professional practices through monthly continuing education opportunities, field trips, and workshops.
- Grow through monthly mentorship and support by AMI staff.
- Earn $13 per hour with health insurance benefits, workers’ compensation insurance, holidays, paid time off, and wellness leave.
Apply online at https://tinyurl.com/amifellowship2022 by February 7.