Opportunity: Seeking Farmer to grow and run our Farm Stand
Website: Cape Cod Farm - Gopal Farm
Location: Gopal Farm, Sandwich (Cape Cod), MA
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation will be all revenue generated from the farm stand
- On-site living available
- Fresh fruits and veggies to take home during the harvest
- Participation in on-farm educational workshops and community events (COVID dependent)
- All equipment and irrigation will be provided for including hand tools for intensive vegetable production and the latest BCS tractor with all needed equipment
- Unique opportunity to manage and cultivate your own small scale 1 acre farm
Work Schedule: Full-time, weekend availability required, May - October
Email: [email protected]
Cell: Text/call Jack 508-289-1813
Full Job Description:
Gopal Farm Cape Cod is a 223-acre Ag-conserved farm focused on regenerative practices, the ethical treatment of animals, and supporting local communities with fresh, delicious produce. Located in Sandwich, Massachusetts, we are the largest piece of arable farmland on Cape Cod.
Our main focus is on Ethnic Indian produce for our CSA, but we are looking to expand our wholesale and community customer base, as well as private event revenue streams. While we are not certified yet, but we adhere to organic practices. In addition to our location on Cape Cod, Gopal Farm also includes our founding farm in New Paltz, NY, along with Mango, Coconut, and other tropical farms on Pine Island off the coast of Florida.
Now in Year 2 of production on the Cape, we are scaling up our organic vegetable growing by 500%. As a result, we have limited bandwidth to focus on our Farm Stand. We are currently seeking a Farm Stand - Farmer responsible for the management, cultivation, and operation of a Farm Stand supported by 1+ acre of growing space.
Ideal candidates will be self-starters who have at least 2 seasons of agricultural background, a customer-oriented focus, and a passion for regenerative farming.
The Farm Stand Manager reports directly to the Farm Manager and will be supported by him and other key staff members as needed.
Our Farm Stand is very important to the overall farm. It serves as our introduction to the local community & provides fresh produce for our neighbors and the surrounding area. We have dedicated 1 acre of land to be solely used for Farm Stand produce. Grow, harvest, market, and sell the produce through the Farm Stand to the local community. If you are a farmer with business knowledge and are willing to put in the work, this is a great opportunity to manage your own farm startup and sell your crops directly to the community. This is not an hourly paid position.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- All aspects of intensive vegetable, herb, and cut flower production, including but not limited to propagation, soil prep, seeding, planting, harvest, irrigation, cultivation, weeding, trellising, wash/pack, and equipment maintenance.
- Collaborate with Farm Manager on crop plan
- Manage the Farm Stand day-to-day operations from May - October including setting hours and schedule
- Set up and break down the Farm Stand on a daily basis and maintain produce quality throughout the day (i.e. temperature control, hydration).
- Responsible for produce display and farm stand setup and design
- Oversee the ordering and maintaining of supply inventory for the Farm Stand
- Marketing the items available in the Farm Stand by creating signage, weekly posting on Facebook, Twitter, and engaging with the community.
- Keep proper records of sales
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the Farm Stand
- Packing up the Farm Stand for the season at the end of October
- Interact with on-site guests and customers in a friendly and informative manner
- Additional duties as required
Requirements & Qualifications:
- At least 2 seasons of agricultural background and a background in business and/or retail preferred
- Availability and willingness to work weekends is a must
- Willingness to drive vehicles (large pickup and/or RTV)
- Respect for safety guidelines and willingness to follow safety procedures (including COVID protocol)
- Ability to lift 50 lbs safely and repeatedly
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and cooperatively as a member of a small team
Additional Preferred Background:
- Retail Experience
- Business Experience
Please note that this job description is not comprehensive. Activities, duties, and/or responsibilities may change at any time. If you think Gopal Farm Cape Cod might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply by emailing the following information to [email protected] Incomplete applications will not be considered. If we think you might be a good fit, we will contact you to set up a phone interview followed by a farm visit or video interview (depending on applicant distance and covid feasibility).
- Please answer the following questions:
- Tell us a little about yourself! What is your background? Interests? What are your long-term farming goals?
- Are you willing and able to work weekends?
Please provide a resume.
Please provide a reference who could speak to your learning and working style. Farming or other physical labor-related references preferred, if applicable.
At Gopal Farm Cape Cod our greatest strength is our people and their collective individual backgrounds and differences. Gopal Farm Cape Cod is committed to creating a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and connectedness to each other and to the land. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, culture & ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, and all other protected classes.
We publicly affirm our ongoing commitment to becoming an anti-racist organization and that our anti-racism commitment is reflected in the life and culture of our policies, programs, and hiring practices as we continue to learn about bias and racism.