Farm Fresh Rhode Island seeks an outgoing and energetic Farm to School AmeriCorps VISTA Member with demonstrated initiative and a passion for food and agriculture education to build capacity for Farm Fresh RI’s Farm to School (F2S) program. As a core partner of the National Farm to School Network, our Farm to School program has been a leader in the movement in RI since day-one. This position will work on comprehensive Farm to School projects within a budding organizational and statewide reinvigoration of F2S. This offers a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in creating F2S programs that connect the classroom, cafeteria, and community.
Through research, development, and piloting of programs and systems, this position will support Rhode Island school districts’ and Farm Fresh RI’s efforts to take Farm to School to the next level. This position requires a one-year commitment to begin August 2, 2021. Application deadline is June 25, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Enhance and expand current knowledge of best practices, barriers, and facilitators to implement sustainable, comprehensive F2S programs.
- Conduct a needs assessment and system improvements to develop F2S strategy for our organization.
- Engage with and support the newly formed RI Farm to School Network.
- Develop Farm to School lessons and programs, including environmental and sustainability topics and health concepts.
- Pilot Farm to School programming and technical assistance to the school community.
- Explore and expand F2S outreach efforts for Farm Fresh RI and the RI F2S Collaborative.
- Improve and enhance internal data systems for farm to school activities, stakeholders, relationship maps, and outreach systems.
- Excellent professional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Great attention to detail
- Self-starter and ability to maintain a self-motivating attitude
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills
- Ability to think, react, iterate, and redirect in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of assignments simultaneously in a vibrant work environment
- Spanish or other language skills a plus
- Nutrition/Health/General education experience preferred
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Reliable access to a car required
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $513.94
- $6,345 Segal Education Award upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
- $400 monthly rent credit
- Monthly bus pass
- Student loan deferment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- CNCS health benefit & childcare assistance
Members must commit to a full year of service, from August 2, 2021, to August 1, 2022. Deadline to apply is June 24, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- To apply, please go to: https://americorps.gov/serve/fit-finder/americorps-vista and review the AmeriCorps VISTA information on that site.
- Then go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do and click “Search Listings.”
- For the search, select the “Rhode Island” and “AmeriCorps VISTA” options.
- Scroll until you find this position, click on it, and click “Apply Now.”
- Submit your application including two references.
Applications must be submitted through this AmeriCorps VISTA site, Farm Fresh Rhode Island cannot accept applications directly.
Farm Fresh RI Foundational & Organizational OutcomesAs an organization, we feel it is important that all employees in all programs of Farm Fresh Rhode Island are expected to uphold the following outcomes in addition to their specific job responsibilities:
- Diversity, Inclusion, & Respect: All staff and volunteers are committed to equality in the workplace, demonstrate respect for each other and those we serve, and work to create a more equitable food system.
- Food Safety: Certifications are maintained and standard operating procedures are followed to ensure safe food handling at all times.
- Health & Safety: Staff, volunteers, and visitors are safe in our office, café, and at all program sites. Staff and volunteers feel safe and supported in the workplace.
- Food Systems Knowledge: All workers can speak about local, sustainable, and equitable food system development and understand how Farm Fresh RI programs address different aspects of these topics.
- Service Orientation: Staff and volunteers are helpful and respectful in all interactions with each other and with all constituents of all Farm Fresh RI programs.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an AmeriCorps grantee and receives funds as part of their State and National program, and to operate our VISTA program.