Markets Program at Farm Fresh Rhode Island
Since 2004, Farm Fresh Rhode Island has been providing affordable farmers markets that sell local, fresh foods in low-income neighborhoods. We value increasing healthy food access while at the same time maintaining fair prices to farmers and transparency in local food systems. All markets managed by Farm Fresh Rhode Island accept and encourage the use of federal food assistance programs.
Job Function/Purpose of Role
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is seeking committed and reliable team players to join our community access team as Farmers Market Associates. We are looking for one or more dedicated team members who will assist in managing the Fresh Bucks table at a number of farmers markets for the full 2023 outdoor season, including Neutaconkanut Park, Woonsocket, Goddard Park, Broad St., Hope St., Providence, Central Falls, and South Kingstown fFarmers mMarkets.
Farm Fresh RI staff will train the Market Associate on tasks necessary to be a part of the Summer Markets Team. We seek someone who is detail oriented, responsible, and passionate about contributing to increasing access to healthy food in Rhode Island. Applicants must commit to fulfilling the entire market season and provide their own transportation of market equipment to and from market sites and the Farm Fresh office. Staff will be reimbursed for mileage.
The Market Associate working at the South Kingstown Farmers Market will keep market materials at their home and will be responsible for submitting data to Farm Fresh RI each week.
- Part-time, seasonal positions. Market Associates staff single or multiple markets for the season. (7-24 hours a week depending on availability and interest).
- Most markets run July-October. Additional hours will be required for training and season debriefs. Some markets start in May and June.
- Potential for additional hours to assist with market outreach and events.
- Provide transportation for market equipment from Farm Fresh RI’s Providence office to market sites.
- Set up and break down the market tent and table.
- Assist with vendor setup as needed.
- Enforce market rules and regulations with all vendors and customers.
- Run the card machine for credit card and EBT customers and distribute Fresh Bucks tokens for transactions.
- Keep record of transactions and balance the market paperwork at the end of market.
- Collect Fresh Bucks tokens from vendors at the end of market and write receipts.
- Maintain positive equitable relations with all market vendors and customers.
- Work with market volunteers and interns when necessary.
- Conduct customer counts twice per month.
Education, Knowledge, Experience Required:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Multilingual proficiency preferred (Spanish speaking required for Neutaconkanut Park and Central Falls locations)
- Interest in nutrition, public health, and environmental issues preferred
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 pounds
- Must have access to reliable transportation for transporting market equipment to and from program sites across the state
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Interpersonal skills, sociable personality
- Basic math and accounting
- Detail oriented
- Starting $17/hr
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Please apply online.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Contact Leonely Paulino at [email protected] with any questions.
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.