Harvest Kitchen is part of Farm Fresh Rhode Island’s initiative to increase the variety of value-added local farm products available, and part of the Farm Fresh RI mission to create a community-based food system. Started in 2010, Harvest Kitchen covers multiple facets of programming, including a 20-week culinary and job-readiness training program for youth that are involved with the RI Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF); and a sister production/training program that operates within the Rhode Island Training School. All products created by Harvest Kitchen use ingredients sourced from local farms. The program focuses on empowering youth to understand how their activities connect to the local food system while gaining the necessary skills and experiences to be able to pursue their personal and professional goals.
Job Function/Purpose of Role
The Harvest Kitchen Farmers Market Leader reports directly to the Harvest Kitchen Program Director and Food Service Manager. This position plays a key role on the Harvest Kitchen farmers market team by supporting all farmers market activities with a focus on organization and inventory management.
This role demands an ability to stay organized and readily jump back and forth between diverse task areas. Key position responsibilities will include maintaining positive relationships with customers and market vendors, as well as clear and responsive communication with the HK Program Director and Food Service Manager via text/email and inventory monitoring. Successful candidates will be highly motivated and able to work autonomously with integrity, attention to detail, and enthusiasm.
- Supplies and Inventory
- Organize and prepare weekly market bins and inventory, ensuring HK retail market table is visually appealing and set up for successful sales on market days.
- Maintain market supplies, and ensure timely communication with supervisors regarding equipment repairs and supply orders when needed.
- Label cases of jars as needed.
- Sales and Pricing Support
- With support from supervisors, update Harvest Kitchen market sales sheets weekly.
- Record sales transactions, balance market transactions, and prepare deposits at the end of each market.
- Submit internal transfers for Harvest Kitchen products as needed.
- Harvest Kitchen Retail Sales Table Lead
- Lead the Farm Fresh RI Harvest Kitchen retail sales table, monitoring other HK staff and volunteers for the duration of the retail market table shift including setup and break-down.
- Assist with day-to-day operations troubleshooting for farmers market programs.
- Support the development of Harvest Kitchen trainees in retail sales functions including customer service, merchandising, and cash handling.
- Personally represent Farm Fresh RI and Harvest Kitchen at farmers markets, understanding our mission and products.
- Available to work Thursdays and Fridays to receive product and prepare market bins — ability to work Saturdays 7am-2pm is a must.
- Must be able to work with the students at Harvest Kitchen one (1) shift a week.
- Must be outgoing and able to connect with a range of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills (patience, respect, transparency).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to stand for up to 4 hours.
- Basic math and accounting skills.
- Able to bend and lift loads up to 50 lbs.
- Must be willing to obtain a BCI.
- Part-time position: 10-20 hours a week — Saturday morning (7am-2pm) is required
- $15.00/hour plus mileage reimbursement
- Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] — in the subject line, write “HK Farmers Market Leader Application.”
- No phone calls or drop-ins please.
Farm Fresh Rhode Island is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment for all employees. We encourage enquiries from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our organization. Farm Fresh RI does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or disability status in employment or programming. Farm Fresh Rhode Island is an Equal Opportunity Provider.